dual-boot partitioning question

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
grnc

dual-boot partitioning question

Post by grnc »

I'm purchasing a new computer (Dell Vostro desktop, 500GB HD) with a clean install of Win 7 Pro, and I plan on installing Mint so I can dual-boot. I've been researching the install process, both on-forum and off, and had some questions on different approaches.

One tutorial recommended adding four partitions to the existing Windows partitions: /boot, /, /home, and swap.
The other tutorial recommended adding two partitions: / and swap (and optionally, /home).

Both tutorials recommended retaining and using the Win bootloader and putting GRUB in the Mint partition.

I understand why the addition of a /home partition makes sense (or even a /data partition--I'm currently dual-booting XP and Ubuntu). But my question is: what is the rationale for adding a /boot AND a / partition vs. just a / partition?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
triumphguy

Re: dual-boot partitioning question

Post by triumphguy »

Everyone has an opinion on partitions. My 2 cents.
/boot You don't really need this as it can go in the root. If you wanted to unmount /boot for security after booting you would want it seperate. This is sometimes done on servers. Also, old motherboards had limitations on the size of the boot sector. This hasn't been a problem in years and won't be on your new computer.

Windows does not play well with other OSs. Therefore it is better to load GRUB on the Linux / or /boot partition.

You should make sure you defrag the Windows drive and move Windows and all it's files to the front of the drive before partitioning the drive.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

grnc wrote:
Both tutorials recommended retaining and using the Win bootloader and putting GRUB in the Mint partition.

I understand why the addition of a /home partition makes sense (or even a /data partition--I'm currently dual-booting XP and Ubuntu). But my question is: what is the rationale for adding a /boot AND a / partition vs. just a / partition?
After more than 3 years with multiboot (win/lin) on many machines,
all I can say, just for me, I would always
1. Let WinOS controlling MBR
or
2. let grub legacy controlling MBR.

In addition I will always use data partition, so that ANY lin OS can share with WinOS.
Minimum works on my part.
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

triumphguy wrote:Everyone has an opinion on partitions. My 2 cents.
/boot You don't really need this as it can go in the root. If you wanted to unmount /boot for security after booting you would want it seperate. This is sometimes done on servers. Also, old motherboards had limitations on the size of the boot sector. This hasn't been a problem in years and won't be on your new computer.

Windows does not play well with other OSs. Therefore it is better to load GRUB on the Linux / or /boot partition.

You should make sure you defrag the Windows drive and move Windows and all it's files to the front of the drive before partitioning the drive.
Totally agree with triumphguy. All grub needs is a primary (any primary) partition.
I never had a problem dual booting - putting grub on the windows partition, but I know lot do have problems.

I'd make
/ - primary

extended
/home
/swap

Just as an installer would if it could, frees up the amount of primary partitions.

Return to “Installation & Boot”