Effects + Games = Not Good?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Effects + Games = Not Good?

Post by jbaerbock »

So I finally have Mint working with Desktop effects since a new Envy came out. Is it just me or does it seem to anyone else that desktop effects plus games dont mix? Any games is very laggy or have gotten strangely buggy when I turn effects on. Granted without effects they work fine so currently I have them turned off. Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Effects + Games = Not Good?

Post by lakehousetech »

I keep the effects off personally because I had the same issues. Resolution would botch up, and I was also getting artifacts and freeze-ups. Not good.
Alpha-Geek
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Alpha-Geek »

My desktop has a 256mb Geforce 6200. I also have noticed some lag with games like Sauerbraten, Alien Arena & Tremulous with Compiz running. I turn Compiz off before running any graphics intensive games. ("alt + f2" and the command "metacity --replace" alt + f2 and "compiz" to restart) I suppose one could make desktop launchers with those commands to stop & start Compiz, if you wanted to.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

That seems like a lot of trouble to go through though. Is it just me, or do you think it's funky that performance can lag so much when we have decent graphics hardware? I have nVidia GeForce 8600M with 512MB and still games play cruddy in Linux.
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbaerbock »

Yeah I'm keeping them turned off for now, and mostly dont care if they are off anyway. I had game problems before the newest Envy was released now my 128mb ATI actually acts like 128mb lol.
Rob Loach
Level 1
Level 1

Compiz Switch

Post by Rob Loach »

Compiz Switch allows you to quickly turn off and on Compiz by the click of a button.

Return to “Software & Applications”