Mint Installer Crashes

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nesha87

Mint or LMDE

Post by nesha87 »

OK, so i have just one question.

Been a Debian Squeeze user for couple of months now. What i would like to know is, which distro is more stable, Mint or LMDE? I'd be using Cinnamon on any of the two. I've been getting different responses regarding stability, and would just like to know which one is better.
+ i couldn't install 12.04 Ubu nor Mint 13 due to installers crashing, so the only way for me to get Mint 13 is by installing 12 and then upgrading. What, in your opinion, would be the way to go?

Thank you!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
axel668

Re: Mint or LMDE

Post by axel668 »

updating Mint 12 to 13 is not recommended, so you'd maybe better give LMDE a chance ...
or you wait a week or two until Mint 14 is out, maybe you have more luck installing that one.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

LMDE is faster than mate or cinnamon, but somethings do not run (for me), like: google earth, dvdstyler, etc...
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

LMDE is rocking solid. And you know Debian so that's the perfect choice.
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

LMDE is presently following Wheezy and will be going back to following Debian testing officially when Debian releases Wheezy as stable. You CAN set LMDE to follow Wheezy when it goes stable, but the software updater for Cinnamon will be following 'testing.' See http://sourceforge.net/projects/cinnamondebian/files/ for .deb file to install on testing. This project is supposed to maintain for Wheezy.

Since you had problems with the LM 13 Cinnamon image, have you tried using LM Xfce or one of the other desktops to install Linux Mint 13, then install Cinnamon from the repositories? Or can you tell where your crash is occurring in the installation?
nesha87

Post by nesha87 »

It was something with the slideshow and some other things also it seems, because it wasn't fixed with ubuntu 12.04.1 image nor did it want to install mint 13. both crashed at about the same time, before any data copying or partitioning or installation has even begun.
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

There is a well-known problem with the installer slideshow.

If you want to give LM13 Cinnamon another try - see here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=116063

caribriz
nesha87

Post by nesha87 »

Hey. Thanks for your reply.

In my Ubuntu install, even remove ubiquity didn't seem to do the trick. Nor did the alternate install cd. Only way i could get Precise is via upgrade.
nesha87

Mint Installer Crashes

Post by nesha87 »

So, as i already explained, the same thing happened in Ubuntu 12.04. So i tried removing the slideshow, alternate cd, everything, it wouldn't help. So now i recreated the problem, and after removing ubiquity the problem in the crash was:

Any help? Thanks!
viking777

Re: Mint Installer Crashes

Post by viking777 »

Duplicate topics merged by moderator.

Return to “Installation & Boot”