<Solved>VirtualBox with Windows7 Pro as Guest - How ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Degs In UK

<Solved>VirtualBox with Windows7 Pro as Guest - How ?

Post by Degs In UK »

Hello everyone, no apologies for being a newbie but here is my story. I purchased last week a Novatech N1411 Ultrabook, core i7 3517 processor, 8GB DDR 1.6GHz, Intel HD4000 Graphics, Intel 520 Cherryville 240GB SSD SATA Hard drive. My intention was (and still is to run Windows7 Pro 64 bit) as I need to install AutoCad and a couple of other things. I purchased the Ultrabook blank with a licenced copy of Windows7 Pro, and after a delay from Novatech supplier to obtain the drivers had the Ultrabook working perfect. Then I decided to dual boot with Linux 13 Maya 64 bit Cinnamon (what a wonderful revelation - been using Linux Mint 11 for 2 years now and never a problem) , so I used the instructions from LinuxBSDos.com as it would not load directly from the install as a dual boot. I needed to get a copy of EasyBCD in order to complete the installation, this is when the problems started, using my 'Windows7' and Internet Explorer the IE search engine was raped by Iminent and SweetIM :evil:
So I took the plunge and fully installed Linux Mint 13 Maya 64 bit and the Ultrabook is just sensational, I mean everything works people, it's what computing should be all about.
Now, I went to the XchatIRC and asked how can I install Windows7 Pro, and the answer was basically use VirtualBox.
I have downloaded and printed the manual (I get the idea of Virtual Machines and containers), searched through Package Manager to see what's there and got to Section 2.3 Installing on Linux Hosts of the manual.
Q1. Do I have sufficient packages installed as part of the Linux Mint 13 installation? and how would I know if not?
Q2. I can see SDL and dkms are installed as packages..........but not what to do with them.
Q3. At terminal sudo apt-get install dkms tells me I have the latest installed.
Q4. Page 34 of the VirtualBox manual version 4.2.4 Section 2.3.3 Performing the installation advises the following -
sudo dpkg -i VirtualBox-3.2_4.2.4_Ubuntu_karmic_i386.deb but this is for a 32-bit Ubuntu Karmic system and I have installed a 64-bit operating system.

Please can someone help me to install and build VirtualBox correctly so I can make further progress to eventually install Windows7 Pro 64 bit as a User OS where I can then put Autocad.
Kindest Regards
Degs
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: VirtualBox with Windows7 Pro as Guest - How ?

Post by remoulder »

Virtualbox is installed via the Software Manager, just search for it. Documentation and how-to's for it are at https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/End-user_documentation
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

I always have problems with VB using apt-get.

I use VirtualBox with VirtualBox Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack installed and working.
Both available from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads. download from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
chose the deb you want to download, once downloaded right click on the deb file and open and install with Gdebi package installer.

Some settings
Make a new VM
Under systems Mobo alocate as much memeory as required (1/2 physical memory)
Processor enable pae
display - alocate as much video memeory as required(1/2 physical memory)
Network - Enable Net Ad to Briged
USB Enable USB controller
Degs In UK

Post by Degs In UK »

Genuine thanks for help so far, but............
Q1. I have the following packages installed, viewed through Synaptic - virtualbox-4.1, virtualbox-guest-x11, virtualbox-guest-dkms, virtualbox-guest-utils.
Q2. Software Manager shows them as installed.....

How do I get virtualbox to run???

Please excuse my stupidity as a newbie, but am I missing something really simple here, most other packages I installed on my old laptop running Mint 11 just installed and were available in my menu.
Degs In UK

Re: <Part Solved>VirtualBox with Windows7 Pro as Guest - How

Post by Degs In UK »

For anyone else reading my exploits LOL.
This is what I did.

Page 36 of the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manual Version 4.2.4
In Terminal sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

Wait for all kernels modules to display [ok]

Page 39 Section 2.3.5 Starting VirtualBox on Linux

Still in Terminal from above, type in VirtualBox

and hey presto, I have it running. Also I noticed when I just closed it down, it now appears in my System Tools as Oracle VM VirtualBox

Now for the next steps............please stay tuned I'm sure I'm going to have more questions as I build it up.

Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”