Need help with network, please

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
nobodynoze

Need help with network, please

Post by nobodynoze »

I'm helping set up a network but having trouble.

I am used to setting up fstab with device path but I think nowadays, it is typical to use UUID.

Can anyone help me here? I know the ip addresses of the computers and pursuing a static DHCP address for each one. I am used to syntax like this:

192.168.1.NN: /home/username/files ( e.g. and NN is any number given or created for the ip address)

But, I notice the UUID method is something like:
UUID=4706-0137 /media/sda1 ext3 .....

The fstab file I'm looking at has UUID=xxxxxxxx (etc.) / ext4 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 1

I know some methods to obtain the UUID for the partitions of the drives in the other computer. So, what syntax should be added (via editing fstab file) to the fstab file so that these partitions (of the other computer) mount to this computer?

I am wondering what I have to do first. Make directories in this computer so that those partitions can mount to, right?

UUID={YOUR-UID} {/path/to/mount/point} {file-system-type} defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 = is the syntax

So, my confusion surrounds the /path/to/mount/point since the data is on another computer. What are the options for accomplishing this?

Help???? :-{
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Need help with network, please

Post by DrHu »

Some more information about your setup may help, the network connections how the external hard drives are now defined, and how they are seen locally to the networked computers (do all those external to your local machine's hard drives mount in their own respective computers, if they are booted)
--or is it really stuck at no hard drive access and only via a network setup ?

I don't know that you can specify IP addresses in an /etc/fstab selection

Also I don''t know that you can mount a hard drive partition via /dev or uuid name unless the device or uuid is viewable from your local boot sequence: perhaps the external hard drive partition must be a shared partition before it can be mounted locally (local to your machine via a mount point, either with Samba share or NFS share..
nobodynoze

Re: Need help with network, please

Post by nobodynoze »

DrHu wrote:Some more information about your setup may help, the network connections how the external hard drives are now defined, and how they are seen locally to the networked computers (do all those external to your local machine's hard drives mount in their own respective computers, if they are booted)
--or is it really stuck at no hard drive access and only via a network setup ?

I don't know that you can specify IP addresses in an /etc/fstab selection

Also I don''t know that you can mount a hard drive partition via /dev or uuid name unless the device or uuid is viewable from your local boot sequence: perhaps the external hard drive partition must be a shared partition before it can be mounted locally (local to your machine via a mount point, either with Samba share or NFS share..
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=195&t=55717

It's a bit old but it displays you can (i.e. specifiy IP addresses)?

I don't have that particular computer in front of me right now but I can probably provide more specific info if needed? It's just one main desktop with fstab working for the drives in that computer... but, the other which is a Pentium 3 (or 4), I think, has only one HDD (hda listed) partitioned into three parts, and the goal is to have one of the partitions (data partition) to mount on the other desktop. It was done via NFS (common, exports etc.) before. However, I didn't configure it. I'm just trying to fix things. :-/

EDIT: 'Shared partition?

Return to “LMDE Archive”