[mintupdate] how to recover from /var overflow?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
TomRoche

[mintupdate] how to recover from /var overflow?

Post by TomRoche »

good news, bad news ...

Recently I attempted to upgrade an LMDE box from UP4 to UP5 via `gksudo mintupdate`. I left it running, and returned to find a dialog (forgot which app popped it) showing /var maxed (mostly in /var/cache/). Fortunately that box has a separate /var partition, so the box still boots. Unfortunately, `gnome-terminal`s are somewhat hosed: the frame pops up, but I get no prompt. Fortunately, {console, virtual terminal, text terminal}s, e.g. C-A-F1, still works as expected. Unfortunately, it has physical partitions, making partition resizing problematic. (I intend to install LVM Real Soon Now :-) Fortunately, Gene Benson clued me to `aptitude auto/clean`, which helped me prevent a problem developing on another box.

So I'm wondering, what should I do to recover from a busted `mintupdate`? I'm guessing the first steps are like
  1. boot to console, login
  2. `sudo aptitude clean`
  3. reboot
  4. boot to X, login
but I Could Be Wrong, and I'm not sure what to do after that--just rerun `gksudo mintupdate`?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “LMDE Archive”