Moving Apps To Workspaces

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Fajah

Moving Apps To Workspaces

Post by Fajah »

In XFCE and Mate, you can right click on a the tab of an open app and move it to a predefined workspace. For me, this is simple an fast. By the looks of it, Cinnamon only allows movement of an app to the "workspace to the right" or "visible on all workspaces. Although drag and drop works in Expo view, with allot of predefined workspaces open and several instances of the same app open, I can tell what I'm dragging to where.

So, is there an easy way to move an open app to a predefined workspace in Cinnamon (a la XFCE and Mate)?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Moving Apps To Workspaces

Post by Flemur »

I use Xfce and fluxbox; w/FB assigning an app to a workspace is as easy as it should be, but w/Xfce the best I could come up with is to start the pgm, get it in the correct workspace, and then logout with "save-session" - however, the program will start up when you login again, which was fine with me because it was conky.
The only other thing I can think of is to find the saved-session info (file), w/the saved workspace, and use it in a launcher...?

Edit: never mind, I mis-read your question. I dunno anything about Cinnamon.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

You just scroll down to 'move to another workspace' and select the workspace you wish to move it to. very easy. so simple.
Fajah

Post by Fajah »

lizbeth wrote:You just scroll down to 'move to another workspace' and select the workspace you wish to move it to. very easy. so simple.
You can do that in Mate and XFCE, but 'move to another workspace' is not in the Cinnamon menu. All I see in Cinnamon is "move to right workspace" and "show on all workspaces". If it is in fact missing in Cinnamon, I wonder why such a simple and useful way of moving apps would be left out of the DE.
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

I am using Cinnamon and it is there. I wonder if it's a an issue with the version you are using? What version of Cinnamon you are using? I am using 1.6.4. Maybe it's time to upgrade?

To upgrade Cinnamon, go into Synaptic, click on settings then repositories and click the check boxes for backports and romeo then close that. Click on reload. After it reloads type Cinnamon in the search box and click on everything it shows in the space to the right then click on apply. After it finishes running you can then go back to settings and repositories and uncheck the boxes next to backport and romeo.
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

AFTER you've upgraded to 1.6, here's some themes. They will not work with 1.4. http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/main ... 06_all.deb
Fajah

Post by Fajah »

lizbeth wrote:AFTER you've upgraded to 1.6, here's some themes. They will not work with 1.4. http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/main ... 06_all.deb
I upgraded to 1.6.4 some time ago and just installed the "Themes" package. Thanks for the link. I still don't see the menu item that allows me to move to a specific workspace. Only "right" or "all". Do I need to switch to a specific theme in order to see what you're seeing?
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

No, It's at the bottom of the menu when you right click. I swear it is there. I use it all the time.
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

No, It's at the bottom of the menu when you right click. I swear it is there. I use it all the time.
Fajah

Post by Fajah »

lizbeth wrote:No, It's at the bottom of the menu when you right click. I swear it is there. I use it all the time.
LOL, I believe you :) When I right click on a tab in the panel, I have the following menu items:

Close
Unmaximize
Minimize

Close Others
Close All

Move to right workspace
Visible on all workspaces

I have no clue as to why it's missing and can't find any settings to add it.
risimmons

Post by risimmons »

I know this is a somewhat old thread, but I thought I'd post an answer.

If you right-click on the app tab in the panel you only get the "Visible on all workspaces" and "Move to right workspace" options. If you right-click on the app title-bar you get the "Move to Another Workspace" option.

Not sure why there's this inconsistency in Cinnamon - I'd like to see the "Move to Another Workspace" option in both places.

Return to “LMDE Archive”