Default file manager in Cinnamon and Mate

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
msoa

Default file manager in Cinnamon and Mate

Post by msoa »

I very searched in google and obtain a lot of result. but not found a way for setting up Cinnamon and Mate so that which of have their file manager for usage all over. for example: when we add Places applet on panel in cinnamon, when clicked on the one of entries instead open Nemo, Caja will open and vise versa.
Someone has found a way to adjust it, Exactly?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
msoa

Re: Default file manager in Cinnamon and Mate

Post by msoa »

One solution:
I have Mate and Cinnamon. I was confused how to change default file manager when i am in Cinnamon and when i am in Mate:
I have installed gnome-do and searched within it for prefered application, found 3 program. one of these programs have 2 tab named Internet and Utilities, go to Utilities and change your default file manager :)
But, i am a question: Where are they stored? In which file are stored prefered applications settings?
cygnus

Post by cygnus »

What I did was go into /usr/share/applications and edit defaults.list (you need to have elevated permissions). For me, I had uninstalled Nemo to use Nautilus as I wanted to try RabbitVCS, which doesn't work with Nemo. I didn't like Rabbit so I uninstalled it, but Nautilus kept coming up as my default file manager. I searched for "nautilus" (there was only one entry on mine) in defaults.list and changed it to "nemo". After the change, it's now using Nemo, and the change was immediate, no need to log out. I'd guess you would search for "nemo" and change it to "caja" and give it a go. Since the change is instantaneous, if it doesn't work, you can just change it back.

Hope this helps!
msoa

Post by msoa »

cygnus wrote:What I did was go into /usr/share/applications and edit defaults.list (you need to have elevated permissions). For me, I had uninstalled Nemo to use Nautilus as I wanted to try RabbitVCS, which doesn't work with Nemo. I didn't like Rabbit so I uninstalled it, but Nautilus kept coming up as my default file manager. I searched for "nautilus" (there was only one entry on mine) in defaults.list and changed it to "nemo". After the change, it's now using Nemo, and the change was immediate, no need to log out. I'd guess you would search for "nemo" and change it to "caja" and give it a go. Since the change is instantaneous, if it doesn't work, you can just change it back.

Hope this helps!
this file "/usr/share/applications/defaults.list" exist but is empety.
cygnus

Post by cygnus »

msoa wrote:this file "/usr/share/applications/defaults.list" exist but is empety.
Maybe it's because you're using Mint and I'm actually using Cinnamon on Ubuntu. Sorry if it's not a solution for you.
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon »

That file exists and it surely isn't empty on Linux Mint 14.

Rehdon
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

msoa wrote:this file "/usr/share/applications/defaults.list" exist but is empety.
Possible alternative locations where the links between mime types and applications are kept are /etc/gnome/defaults.list and ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list.
fromderpool

Post by fromderpool »

In mint 13 Maya i found that /usr/share/gnome/applications and /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/mime had a defaults.list file and that one of these replaces /usr/share/applications/defaults.list at either login or reboot. On changing both of these files in order to fix the problem that the items in the places menu launch in nautilus I found that the fix remained across reboots.

Return to “Cinnamon”