HI there, I have some questions, related to re-install/upgrade.
First let me say that I am running on Linux Mint 13 + Mate (since its release and 12 for a while before). I like it lots - thanks to all who helped make it. Likewise, when I have resorted to this forum before I have been helped very well - kudos here too.
I have a separate partitio for my home directory.
I see that Mint 14 rc is available and when the release isavailable, and am going to install it. I am interested in trying the cinnamon desktop instead of Mate, so:
(1) Am I correct that I could install mint 14/mate and keep my home partition and everything on it intact?
(2) Could I install mint 14/cinnamon using my current home partition and retain everything intact?
(3) Could I install mint 14/cinnamon using my current home partition and switch between mint13/mate and mint14/cinnamon without messing things up?
(4) Could I install mint 14 in such a way that I could switch between mate and cinnamon without returning to the grub menu?
(5) I will need to reinstall some applications. Could I have set up my partitions better to have avoided reinstalling applications (ie Eclipse)?
You will guess from these questions that my grasp of things linux is not all that it should be, but I tend to use the OS as a tool, and only discover stuff about it when I need to. Please be gentle in you answers/explanations.
If any of these questions have been discussed elsewhere then feel free just to point me to the threads - I am happy to read such. Or even just tell me the correct terms that I should have searched on (not knowing the terminology often leads to me asking the wrong questions and confusing things horribly).
Thanks in advance for any help
(Edited to clariify. Mint14 is not yet available, only the release candidate).