Since I first installed Linux Mint onto my Acer Aspire V3-771 it seems to be randomly crashing one or two times a day. Only pressing my on/off switch for several seconds turns off the system and I am able to reboot. So far I can conclude the following:
- no input works, mouse is frozen and system is completely frozen
- I am unable to use the REISUB key sequence (although I know it is enabled, since I could succesfully use it after a reboot)
- I am unable to login in to the machine through ssh
- No relevant logging can be found, although I disabled log-caching in /etc/rsyslog.d/50-default.conf:
- I am unable to find anything corresponding on the internet
- `uname -a` gives:
Linux rik-Aspire-V3-771 3.2.0-33-generic #52-Ubuntu SMP Thu Oct 18 16:29:15 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
- bumblebee is installed and optirun can be succesfully used to run glxgears
- iotop does not give any proces that clogs disk i/o
At this point I have no clue as a) what the cause of this problem is and b) how I can proceed to solve this. I'd guess it is a hardware problem, but I don't know how to pinpoint the failing hardware...
I hope you guys have a suggestion on what to do next.