Cinnamon notifications Pidgin

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
obscureangelPT

Cinnamon notifications Pidgin

Post by obscureangelPT »

Hello guys
Well i am back to you with linux mint 14, and i am very happy with it.
Its pretty, clean and very fast.

So i do have a dumb question.
I enter in pidgin and many friends login and logout, naturally.
The problem is that everytime one friend login, add 1 to notifier menu on cinnamon taskbar.
So after 15minutes, i have about 10 notification to read which are logins and logouts from pidgin.

So i guess that is pretty useless, and i am asking if there is a way to turn off the pidgin notifications of login or logout, or even better if there is a way of turning off the notifications of pidgin going to taskbar notifications menu.

Thanks a lot guys, you are great
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richardsdma

Re: Cinnamon notifications Pidgin

Post by richardsdma »

try the setting of pidgin or better empathy together with gnome-shell.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Discussion of Mint 14 RC issues is requested at http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2205
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You can turn off notifications in Pidgin completely in Extra > Plugins, then turn off "Pop-ups of Libnotify" or something like that (I'm not sure what it is in English, I'm using Mint in Dutch).

@ remoulder: I don't think this is limited to 14RC.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
obscureangelPT

Post by obscureangelPT »

I solved.
I turned off the notification system in the taskbar, so there is no counting numbers anymore.
I prefer that way.
OSD its still appearing, that is what i want!

Anyway i like the way the cinnamon is evolving, even more things are costumizable and its very optimized :D
bwat47

Post by bwat47 »

You don't need to disable pidgin's or cinnamon's notifcations completely. Simply go to tools > plugins > libnotify popups > configure and uncheck the boxes for user signs on and user signs off. In my pidgin the only box I have checked is new message, so pidgin only gives notifications when I get an im.
peviem28

Post by peviem28 »

obscureangelPT wrote:I solved.
I turned off the notification system in the taskbar
Sorry for posting in this thread, but can you tell me how you did that? I switched from Xubuntu to Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon, because it's more pre-build and I can work earlier.

I like it this way:

- A little place shows for 1 second, who came on line, like on the corner right up. 1 second, because my eyes are fast and I need my concentration for my work.
- When I go with the mouse on it, it disappears. this works
- I dont want to see the exclamation mark filled up with users who went on-/offline in the taskbar.

I deactivated libnotify in pidgin, but now i can't see who comes online.
peviem28

Post by peviem28 »

i dont know why my post didnt show up but i found a solution. right click on the symbol with the exclamation mark and remove it.

sry for posting in this old thread.

Return to “Cinnamon”