The unofficial LMDE KDE UP5 [UPDATE: 16/10/2012]

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Schoelje

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP5 [UPDATE: 16/10/2012]

Post by Schoelje »

It doesn't matter on which platform you're going to develop. It all depends on your preferences.
Some people prefer Ubuntu others (like me) prefer Debian.
If you like my LMDE KDE, just start coding on LMDE KDE.
I only wanted to say: do not change the repositories. Just leave it as-is. LMDE KDE is a stable environment out-of-the-box and a perfect environment for developing great sites.
TRZALICA

Post by TRZALICA »

I'm currently testing LMDE KDE in a Oracle Virtualbox and can't get sound... I think that main reason is something inside VM because I had some bad experience with VM in past. I changed audio settings and codecs but nothing changed... Does anyone else has similar problems?
I will test this distribution later on my desktop pc. Once again it looks really nice and I hope that this project will become official Linux Mint project!
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

TRZALICA wrote:I'm planing to work as a web designer on Linux platform (already using linux for about 1.5 year now) and this LMDE KDE distribution seems like good (and also eye-candy) distribution. I would like to hear your advice is this distribution good (and safe) platform for that kind of use? I mean when I update LMDE KDE, it wont broke or there is high possibility for that?
I will read those artickles you post in your previous post, and once again thanks for help! :)
I have designed quite a few websites in my time and spend hours every day making changes to them and updating with new material. I was trying LMDE KDE on a spare PC for some months without any problems. I have now switched over my main "production" box to LMDE KDE and have found it to be as steady as a rock. The only time I use Windows is when I have to check that my websites display correctly in all the different versions. To do this I run Win XP in virtual boxes with IE 6, 7, 8 and 9 and also Firefox, Chrome, Opera etc and VB works fine as well.
Last edited by arjay on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
TRZALICA

Post by TRZALICA »

Are you using LMDE KDE or LMDE?
You're using some well known CMS like Drupal or Wordpress or?
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

TRZALICA wrote:Are you using LMDE KDE or LMDE?
You're using some well known CMS like Drupal or Wordpress or?
Sorry, my bad - I meant LMDE KDE - as this thread is named. As to web design software - no, I normally write my own code (HTML/CSS) for my websites, though I also do use Wordpress for blogs. Here are a couple of sites you can look at:

http://www.famaspain.com/ (animal charity - own code)

http://solclassiccarclub.net/chatter/ (classic car blog - Wordpress)
TRZALICA

Post by TRZALICA »

Thanks for answers and advices guys! :)
I'm using Drupal 7 on Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon now but considering to start using LMDE KDE as my working machine... I'm testing it for a couple of days and I have only the best words for it... :)
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

TRZALICA wrote:Thanks for answers and advices guys! :)
I'm using Drupal 7 on Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon now but considering to start using LMDE KDE as my working machine... I'm testing it for a couple of days and I have only the best words for it... :)
Your welcome, TRZALICA, and you might consider posting some tutorials in the future...I'd like to know more about Drupal, but I'm too lazy to find it out myself :wink:
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

For the upcoming UP6 both LMDE and the unofficial LMDE KDE will have multiarch enabled on the 64-bit versions.
This means that you'll be able to install 64-bit and 32-bit packages from the repositories.

Today I did a simple test with the current LMDE KDE UP5:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt-get update
And created a new iso with that.
I installed the iso in VirtualBox, rebooted and installed

sudo apt-get install playonlinux xterm ttf-mscorefonts-installer lib32nss-mdns
I installed IE8 and needed to upgrade playonlinux to the latest version, so I downloaded the deb and installed that.
After installation, IE started without a problem (but I will never get used to a IE icon on my desktop).

That is one worry less when UP6 comes out!
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Schoelje wrote:After installation, IE started without a problem (but I will never get used to a IE icon on my desktop).
:shock: :lol:
TRZALICA

Post by TRZALICA »

Schoelje wrote: Your welcome, TRZALICA, and you might consider posting some tutorials in the future...I'd like to know more about Drupal, but I'm too lazy to find it out myself :wink:
It's very possible that I will write some posts about Drupal in the future! ;)
TRZALICA

Post by TRZALICA »

I have one question. I installed LMDE KDE aside of WinXP on one computer but because XP has NTLRD bootloader I can't use EasyBCD to make my dual boot like I want to (I always install Linux with 4 partitions: /boot, /root, swap, /home and I put GRUB in the /boot (/boot is in sda6 partition) so it doesn't fight with Windows and vice versa :D ).
Can you help me with this problem?? :idea:
I already tried to enter this command with LMDE KDE live dvd: sudo dd if=/dev/sda6 of=bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
and then I write this in boot.ini: c:\bootsect.lnx="LMDE KDE" (and yes, I copy this file called bootsect.lnx in c drive).

When I reboot computer I see that LMDE KDE option to boot from but when I choose it screen is black and there is only _ sign in left upper corner of monitor...

Where did I wrong?? I searched this on internet but I simply cannot find the solution... :( :shock:
dcihon

Post by dcihon »

Been using KDE on LMDE everything is working fine so far.
One question I have though.
Let's see if I can explain this correctly.
Everytime I close a window the window like flashes off and on and then closes.
No big deal I've gotten use to it but I was wondering if it could be fixed.
Thanks
Dan
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

dcihon wrote:Been using KDE on LMDE everything is working fine so far.
One question I have though.
Let's see if I can explain this correctly.
Everytime I close a window the window like flashes off and on and then closes.
No big deal I've gotten use to it but I was wondering if it could be fixed.
Thanks
Dan
  1. Are you using LMDE KDE or have you installed KDE on the regular LMDE?
  2. What kind of graphics card do you have:

lspci -nn | grep VGA
  3. What drivers did you install for your graphics card?
dcihon

Post by dcihon »

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation G84 [GeForce 8600 GT] [10de:0402] (rev a1)

On this PC I just did a KDE-full from synaptic.
It is an original LMDE XFCE install.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

dcihon wrote:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation G84 [GeForce 8600 GT] [10de:0402] (rev a1)

On this PC I just did a KDE-full from synaptic.
It is an original LMDE XFCE install.
And your drivers, did you install these from the repositories or download the drivers from Nvidia?

You could try DDM: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=113559
But don't forget to deinstall the current Nvidia drivers if you didn't install them from the repositories.

From the repositories, these should be installed:

sudo apt-get install build-essential nvidia-glx nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-xconfig
dcihon

Post by dcihon »

Ok I have tried what you suggested.
I had some problems getting the nvidia driver uninstalled. I believe I used nvidia-current from smxi to install it last time.
Now when I try to use DDM I see at the bottom of the screen some error about a script and it finishes but doesn't install the nvidia package.
I looked for the DDM.log file but it doesn't look like it is getting created.
Not sure what I am doing wrong.
Should I start this thread in the DDM part of the forum now?
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

dcihon wrote:Ok I have tried what you suggested.
I had some problems getting the nvidia driver uninstalled. I believe I used nvidia-current from smxi to install it last time.
Now when I try to use DDM I see at the bottom of the screen some error about a script and it finishes but doesn't install the nvidia package.
I looked for the DDM.log file but it doesn't look like it is getting created.
Not sure what I am doing wrong.
Should I start this thread in the DDM part of the forum now?
Yes, please post this in the DDM thread:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... start=1000

But before you do, start DDM like this:

device-driver-manager -d
This should generate a log file:

$HOME/ddm.log
TRZALICA

Post by TRZALICA »

I installed LMDE KDE and now when it boots up and after entering password for user, it says: "Call to lnusertemp failed (temporary directories full?). Check your installation."
I tried once again and but nothing change... This is the first time that I see that kind of warning... Help! :)
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

TRZALICA wrote:I installed LMDE KDE and now when it boots up and after entering password for user, it says: "Call to lnusertemp failed (temporary directories full?). Check your installation."
I tried once again and but nothing change... This is the first time that I see that kind of warning... Help! :)
I had that once which was caused by a corrupt user directory (which was caused by several installs and leaving the /home from previous installs).
I created a new user, rebooted and logged in as that new user:

sudo adduser [mynewuser]
sudo usermod -aG sudo,adm,dialout,audio,video,cdrom,floppy,dip,plugdev,lpadmin,sambashare [mynewuser]
sudo reboot
Where [mynewuser] is the new user name, e.g.: trzalica

Return to “Chat about Linux”