How do I install new release, using my existing partitions?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
creasy27

How do I install new release, using my existing partitions?

Post by creasy27 »

Morning folks,

I'm new to Linux and have been using build 13 of mint for several weeks now. Thanks to advice from a friend, I customized my installation when installing it, creating a boot, home, / and swap partition. With the new release of mint 14 RC, would I have to do a clean install? In other words, create new partitions again and lose all my apps? I was hoping I might be able to just install the RC over it and keep existing data. There is an option from the installation menu asking if I would like to replace the current version with the new one; wouldn't this simply replace any existing partitions with Linux' own configuration? Any help would be appreciated thx

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How do I install new release, using my existing partitio

Post by xenopeek »

usbtux

Post by usbtux »

When you get to the partition table by selecting "Something Else", instead of deleting the old partition(s) and adding new ones for Mint, just use the "Change" button at the bottom of the table to edit the existing partitions.

Click on a partition you want to replace and click "Change" a partition edit window will open. Leave all partition parameters the same, just click "Format the partition as..." and select your file system choice from the drop down menu. The partition will be formatted (overwriting the existing OS) and the selected Mint partition (root, /home, etc.) will be installed. But for /home dont use the format option.

For Grub installation, either click on the drop down menu at the bottom of the partitioning page and select the location for Grub installation, or just leave this alone and take the default installation. The default is /dev/sda. This will install Mint's Grub in the mbr over any existing bootloader (Ubuntu Grub, Windows, etc.), and set up the dual boot menu automatically.

Of course, you'll need to reinstall all the additional programs and settings you installed originally. You may be able to backup and copy all your settings/hidden files back into home to ensure you keep your settings but this may not work totally.
creasy27

Installing Mint 14 RC over Mint 13

Post by creasy27 »

Good afternoon Folks,

I am new to Linux have been using mint 13 for several weeks now. I am very impressed with it and don't see myself returning to windows any time soon!

I am thinking about installing the RC for Mint 14 but is there a way of installing it over 13 without deleting installed apps and my documents?

Thanks to the advice from a friend, I created several partitions prior to installing 13; boot, home /, and swap. However, if I install 14 would I need to create these partitions again? Form the installation menu, it does have an option to replace the existing installation with a new one but I am correct in saying that by choosing that, Linux will create it's own partition configuration? Thanks in advance and I hope this makes sense!
robw

Re: Installing Mint 14 RC over Mint 13

Post by robw »

If you told Mint to use the entire disk,then yes, that's what it would do. However, you could tell it to install to the partition location of your choice.

But hold your horses! Why do you want to install a RC if you are a relative noob? A RC will be flawed software because it isn't finished - the team release the RC to get feedback on bugs and things that don't work. They don't recommend it is installed as your primary installation for this very reason. The finished 14 will no doubt be out in only a few weeks - I'd recommend you wait for that!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Topics merged; please don't post the same question to multiple sections of the forums.
creasy27

Post by creasy27 »

usbtux wrote:When you get to the partition table by selecting "Something Else", instead of deleting the old partition(s) and adding new ones for Mint, just use the "Change" button at the bottom of the table to edit the existing partitions.

Click on a partition you want to replace and click "Change" a partition edit window will open. Leave all partition parameters the same, just click "Format the partition as..." and select your file system choice from the drop down menu. The partition will be formatted (overwriting the existing OS) and the selected Mint partition (root, /home, etc.) will be installed. But for /home dont use the format option.

For Grub installation, either click on the drop down menu at the bottom of the partitioning page and select the location for Grub installation, or just leave this alone and take the default installation. The default is /dev/sda. This will install Mint's Grub in the mbr over any existing bootloader (Ubuntu Grub, Windows, etc.), and set up the dual boot menu automatically.

Of course, you'll need to reinstall all the additional programs and settings you installed originally. You may be able to backup and copy all your settings/hidden files back into home to ensure you keep your settings but this may not work totally.
Thanks usbtux. That's really helpful. I'll give that a go :)
creasy27

Re: Installing Mint 14 RC over Mint 13

Post by creasy27 »

robw wrote:If you told Mint to use the entire disk,then yes, that's what it would do. However, you could tell it to install to the partition location of your choice.

But hold your horses! Why do you want to install a RC if you are a relative noob? A RC will be flawed software because it isn't finished - the team release the RC to get feedback on bugs and things that don't work. They don't recommend it is installed as your primary installation for this very reason. The finished 14 will no doubt be out in only a few weeks - I'd recommend you wait for that!
Thanks robw. Yeah, I am tempted to wait for a final release. The main reason for wanting to upgrade early was for the fixed bluetooth. :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”