Computer reboots instead of shutting down.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
LexMK

Computer reboots instead of shutting down.

Post by LexMK »

Essentially what the subject says. When I try to turn off the computer it reboots instead, even if it explicitly says that it's shutting down.

As written in my signature, my computer is an Asus eee 1225b.

Haven't had this problem with any other computer.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: Computer reboots instead of shutting down.

Post by cwsnyder »

Have you tried entering the command sudo shutdown now and entering your regular password? Do you get any errors on your screen during the shutdown process or before?

Which version of Mint are you using?
LexMK

Post by LexMK »

Gives some error related to ieee80211 while shutting down. Does it too fast, can't read.

I'm using LMDE, updated to latest version. I'm using the 3.6-trunk kernel downloaded from packages.debian, but gives the same error with the standard 3.2.0-3 kernel included in LMDE UP5.
LexMK

Post by LexMK »

No way to solve this?
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

Sorry, I had another computer to work on.

802.11 is probably your network connection. Did you try either shutting down your router or disconnecting your cable if you use one, and then seeing if you can shut down? You may have PXE boot allowed over the network, which is automatically restarting when you shut down unless you don't have any network connection. You would then have to go into your BIOS and disable PXE boot for a fix.
keithostertag

Post by keithostertag »

I am having this same problem. Selecting shutdown from any software menu will not actualy shutdown the machine- it _looks_ at first as though it is going to shutdown, OS and filesystems unloaded etc, even the fans start clicking off. But as soon as the PSU fan is just about dead still the machine reboots.

In playing around I found:

Entering "sudo shutdown -h now" does the same thing.

Entering "sudo init 0" does actually shutdown. Pressing and holding 5+ seconds the hardware power button on the front panel also does a proper shutdown.

This is a new machine, freshly loaded with the current Maya, 201204. This problem exists both booting from the LiveDVD or from the installation on the SSD. I have several other versions of Linux- a few different old versions of Ubuntu, and even the Trininty Rescue disk that do not exhibit this problem in this machine.

I do not get this problem when booting from the same Maya disc on a different machine (my laptop). So it appears to be an interaction between this new version of LMDE and my new desktop machine.

My new machine has a new Intel mobo- the DZ77GA-70K. Using on-board video and sound, one SSD, two optical drives. Updated BIOS and all software (UP 6).

More details and workaround: I'm using an Intel 2200BNHMWDTX1 PCI Express x1 Centrino Advanced-N 2200 wireless NIC. Current firmware. The NIC was not being recognized _intermittently_. Someone on a different forum suggested blacklisting the e1000e driver the LAN uses. That, by itself, did not resolve the problem. However, if I blacklist that driver _and_ turn off the LAN in the BIOS then shutdown now works as it should.

One might then surmise that the problem lies with an incompatibility between these network drivers and Linux, but that doesn't explain why other versions of Linux that I tried don't exhibit this problem.

I am having a few other problems with this version of LMDE Maya I suspect might be related - xhci and USB3.0. More on that later if anyone is interested or knowlegeable about their interaction.

For completeness, here is the output of lspci:

keith@ada:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82579V Gigabit Network Connection (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 6 (rev c4)
00:1c.7 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 8 (rev c4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Z77 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
32:00.0 PCI bridge: PLX Technology, Inc. PEX 8606 6 Lane, 6 Port PCI Express Gen 2 (5.0 GT/s) Switch (rev ba)
33:01.0 PCI bridge: PLX Technology, Inc. PEX 8606 6 Lane, 6 Port PCI Express Gen 2 (5.0 GT/s) Switch (rev ba)
33:04.0 PCI bridge: PLX Technology, Inc. PEX 8606 6 Lane, 6 Port PCI Express Gen 2 (5.0 GT/s) Switch (rev ba)
33:05.0 PCI bridge: PLX Technology, Inc. PEX 8606 6 Lane, 6 Port PCI Express Gen 2 (5.0 GT/s) Switch (rev ba)
33:07.0 PCI bridge: PLX Technology, Inc. PEX 8606 6 Lane, 6 Port PCI Express Gen 2 (5.0 GT/s) Switch (rev ba)
33:09.0 PCI bridge: PLX Technology, Inc. PEX 8606 6 Lane, 6 Port PCI Express Gen 2 (5.0 GT/s) Switch (rev ba)
35:00.0 SATA controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE9172 SATA 6Gb/s Controller (rev 11)
36:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 2200 (rev c4)
38:00.0 PCI bridge: Integrated Technology Express, Inc. Device 8892 (rev 30)
3a:00.0 SATA controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE9172 SATA 6Gb/s Controller (rev 11)

Hope this helps,
Keith OStertag
bartelfitzneel

Post by bartelfitzneel »

I've had the same issue running 17.1 on an Intel NUC. I went into the power settings in the bios/uefi and turned off the wake on LAN settings. Now shutdown works.

Return to “LMDE Archive”