Problems with themes

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon

Problems with themes

Postby xibalba on Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:29 am

Mint 13 cinnamon 32-bit

How do I change my desktop background image? Must I fool around with themes to do this? I don't want any background image, just a plain black screen.

And how do I change the colors of application windows? Themes again? How do I create or edit a theme?
xibalba
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Problems with themes

Postby Orbmiser on Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:43 am

Right Click Desktop "Change Desktop Background"
And you will Have to supply a All Black image to use as didn't see a option for no background.

Quick way is google image search black background then drag image into a new tab then as image is displayed. Should be able to right click and set as wallpaper will do it quick and dirty way.
Orbmiser
Level 7
Level 7

Postby xibalba on Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:02 am

Orbmiser wrote:Right Click Desktop "Change Desktop Background"
And you will Have to supply a All Black image to use as didn't see a option for no background.

Well, that's lame. Removing customization is never cool.

Orbmiser wrote:Quick way is google image search black background then drag image into a new tab then as image is displayed. Should be able to right click and set as wallpaper will do it quick and dirty way.

I'll just make it myself, thanks. Quick and dirty does not apply to my computer. Besides that, I can make one in 3 minutes using something like mtPaint, so it's not a big deal.
xibalba
Level 2
Level 2

Postby abnvolk on Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:42 am

You can go to System Settings -> Appearance, and choose Color & Gradients from the drop-down list.
abnvolk
Level 4
Level 4

Postby xibalba on Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:47 pm

abnvolk wrote:You can go to System Settings -> Appearance, and choose Color & Gradients from the drop-down list.

Doesn't look like I have that option. Post a screencap?
xibalba
Level 2
Level 2

Postby zerozero on Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:12 pm

it depends on the cinnamon version: on mint 13 (and on lmde) at the moment the option is here
snapshot93.png
snapshot93.png (118.17 KiB) Viewed 556 times
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Postby xibalba on Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:13 pm

xibalba
Level 2
Level 2

Postby twodogs on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:26 pm

xibalba wrote:
Orbmiser wrote:Right Click Desktop "Change Desktop Background"

Well, that's lame. Removing customization is never cool.

Orbmiser wrote:Quick way is google image search black background then drag image into a new tab then as image is displayed. Should be able to right click and set as wallpaper will do it quick and dirty way.

I'll just make it myself, thanks. Quick and dirty does not apply to my computer. Besides that, I can make one in 3 minutes using something like mtPaint, so it's not a big deal.

Under 'Advanced' select no image and then choose color on the right. Easy.
--
Lenovo laptop B575 8 gigs memory, 750 hard drive, and Linux Mint 16 Petra Cinnamon 64-bit
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Postby twodogs on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:28 pm

xibalba wrote:I don't have that option.

http://www.myupload.dk/v/1juYiWFBJ.png

What version of Cinnamon are you using? One point oh!

Latest stable version is 1.6.7
--
Lenovo laptop B575 8 gigs memory, 750 hard drive, and Linux Mint 16 Petra Cinnamon 64-bit
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Postby xibalba on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:35 pm

Okay, so I changed my desktop background, but how do I change the colors and text colors of my application windows? And why does Nautilus not allow me to customize the locations on the left sidebar?
xibalba
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Orbmiser on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:31 pm

Open up Cinnamon Settings>Themes

Some default themes first tab more option on second tab like fonts,Windows and GTK theme used.
Change those for windows.

Don't know about Nautilus maybe a google search on "linux nautilus customizing left pane" might lead you to the info.
Orbmiser
Level 7
Level 7

Postby xibalba on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:47 pm

GTK+ themes was what I was looking for. How can I add more GTK+ themes, or make my own?
xibalba
Level 2
Level 2

Postby abnvolk on Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:55 am

You can find some good gtk themes by searching for theme at gnome-look.org, or deviantart.
Also, you can search for "gtk 3.4 themes" on the net. There are some good ones: Evolve, elementary, Orion, Adwaita-X, Greybird, Ambiance Blue... :)
Then, download and unzip them (if necessary), and copy them to the folder .themes in your home folder (it is hidden, press Ctrl+H to unhide).
If you want root programs (such as Synaptic, which asks for your password) to use it, run Files as root (open a terminal and type "sudo nautilus"), then copy the themes to File System/usr/share/themes.
Usually these themes also come with a matching window theme, so you can open Cinnamon Settings -> Themes -> Other settings to set the GTK and window theme.
abnvolk
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Cinnamon