Xfce, akonadi and nepomuk

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
neilwin

Xfce, akonadi and nepomuk

Post by neilwin »

I have just installed Mint Maya Xfce to replace on old version of Mint KDE. One reason for the change was to get away from akonadi and nepomuk. These, I was told. are KDE packages and do not appear with Xfce. But I have checked and see that they are installed automatically. So two questions please.

Is it safe to remove them? And, if not, how can I make sure they are not running and wasting resources? I have no use for them.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
yerc

Re: Xfce, akonadi and nepomuk

Post by yerc »

neilwin wrote:I have just installed Mint Maya Xfce to replace on old version of Mint KDE. One reason for the change was to get away from akonadi and nepomuk. These, I was told. are KDE packages and do not appear with Xfce. But I have checked and see that they are installed automatically. So two questions please.

Is it safe to remove them? And, if not, how can I make sure they are not running and wasting resources? I have no use for them.
hi neilwin,
my mint 13 xfce, installed from scratch, does not have akonadi and nepomuk. i'm assuming you installed over mint kde which is why you have the packages.

my experience has been that Synaptic (where i do any uninstallation) always tells me what gets removed and warn what installed packages are affected when getting rid of a package. i would examine the list and if i'm satisfied that there is no potential breakage in installed packages, i proceed with uninstalling.

if you don't have any kde application (koffice, kcal, kmail, etc) installed, it should be safe to remove akonadi and nepomuk, but i am no expert, hence do so at your own risk.
neilwin

Post by neilwin »

No I did not install over Mint KDE, I installed in an empty part of the drive as a dual boot. Anyway I will have a go at removing them and look out for any warning messages. As I undestand it Xfce does not use them.

Thanks
neilwin

Post by neilwin »

Further to my previous reply, I have checked re removal of akonadi. I had not thought about it but I do use kgpg and kalarm which both require akonadi. So I must leave it as is. It could be that that is the reason for akonadi being installed. So I will leave well alone.

Return to “Xfce”