Help! My panels disappeared!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Help! My panels disappeared!

Post by locutus »

I was trying to alter the size of ktorrent (it was way off the screen, top, bottom, sides, all were bigger than my screen size) and I must have clicked somewhere I shouldn't have, now the panel is gone.

It was at the top (kde, I moved it up there) and I have kooldock (Mac-like) at the bottom. It's still there. Icons for Firefox, konsole, Control Center among others are there so I'm not completely left in the dark. In Control Center under Panels I can change the placing of the panel. I've tried top, both sides, bottom, nothing changes. It's set to be visible all the time, though it's missing now.

Rebooting, it shows briefly before disappearing again. If I boot into recovery mode every thing is fine but all my customizations are not present (obviously).

I've tried left-clicking, right-clicking, middle-clicking all over the screen, nothing happens. Right-clicking just gives me the normal sub-menu but there's nothing there about adding, or recovering, the panels.

Oddly, in konsole if I type "kmenu" it says command not found. Also, minimising any window should wobble to the panel as I have Compiz enabled and use the Magic Lamp effect. Now it just disappears.

Any ideas on how to fix this mess?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Help! My panels disappeared!

Post by locutus »

Never mind. Kmenu nwouldn't start because there is none: tastymenu has replaced it. But just perusing synaptic I came across 'kicker', which was installed. I ran it from konsole any everything is right where I left it! Problem solved.

Return to “Beginner Questions”