grub on usb hd

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
grant937

grub on usb hd

Post by grant937 »

While installing Mint KDE CE on a USB HD the option of installing grub on (HD0) was listed during the process. I have a Fujitsu notebook notebook with Vista installed on the notebook HD and was wondering if grub will be installed on the USB HD or the notebook HD MBR.

Thanks
Vince
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Re: grub on usb hd

Post by Boo »

(HD0) is your first internal hard disk not the USB one (it may be (HD1) but you can use /dev/sdb)
your USB one should have mounted and you could see it if you run the df command in a terminal.
once you see the usb disk gets its /dev device number to use eg /dev/sdb and use this as the mbr device.
in advanced replace (HD0) with /dev/sdb.

hope this helps
Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
grant937

Post by grant937 »

Thanks Boo I appreciate your help

Vince
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

thinking about it some more it maybe a bit more complicated.
when you boot off the usb HD it may be seen as HD0 or /dev/sda.
but when you boot off the CD/DVD it sees it as say /dev/sdb.
so I expect you will have to install to the usb HD and setting grub to its mbr and after its installed remount it do a chroot and change grub to make it look at /dev/sda when it boots off the USB (itself).

Im sure there is a howto/tips and tricks on the site somewhere. it has been before.

B00
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

Return to “Software & Applications”