Fast desktop search

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pointedstick

Fast desktop search

Post by Pointedstick »

One thing I miss from OS X is a fast desktop search. In Mint 12, there was an app you could launch to search for files on your machine, although it seems to be missing from the Mint 14 RC. I really liked the workflow of quickly searching for and opening files, since it's much quicker than manually navigating to them, or opening an app and selecting "recent documents" or something.

Perhaps this functionality could be added to the MintMenu's search field?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Fast desktop search

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

I believe you are referring to the gnome-search-tool. You can install this package if it's not yet installed already through the terminal, Synaptic or Software Manager, terminal being the quickest route:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gnome-search-tool
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
Pointedstick

Post by Pointedstick »

Yes, that's it. Thanks! It's a good little utility, but a real fast search integrated into the MintMenu would be even better :wink:
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Discussion of Mint 14 RC issues as requested at http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2205
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”