Can Compiz Allow Button Bars And Toolbar Menus in XFCE?

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimwg

Can Compiz Allow Button Bars And Toolbar Menus in XFCE?

Post by jimwg »

Greetings!

Whenever I use Compiz in Maya XFCE, my top button bar vanishes and items on my panel tool bar such as Workplace Switcher lose icons. I use Compiz to render translucent LibreOpen pages, which XFCE Opacity alone can't accomplish. Further, if I use Compiz settings manager to swap from Compiz to Xfwm4 as window manager to temporarily get my button bars back the screen sometimes freezes. Is there any cure or alternative to get the features I want?

Thanks!

Jim in NYC
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimwg

Re: Can Compiz Allow Button Bars And Toolbar Menus in XFCE?

Post by jimwg »

Okay, I did the whole shebang according those tutorials; used mateconf-editor to change marco to compiz, used gconf-editor to change theme to mint-x (already was), turned on Window Decoration and Application Switcher, changed start-up list to compiz --replace. Re-booted and Compiz goes on alright except no buttons (and Workplace Switcher still mixed up). This non-techie hunted each feature in Compiz Config Settings Manager and can't find anything that's titled or has anything to do with buttons. If it's a missing plug-ins thing I wouldn't know and the tutorials don't delve into that. It must be a very simple switch overlooked somewhere. Wish they offered a precise checklist of what to look for and turn on to make this go. I'm even wondering whether it's because I've a panel toolbar on both top and bottom of my screen or my XFCE configs are messing things up! If I knew exactly what controls or affects button enabling I might have a chance tracking this down. Any hints? Thanks!

Jim in NYC
jimwg

Post by jimwg »

This is a cut and paste from my terminal after executing compiz--replace. Are there any clues here of what is keeping it from generating buttons? Thanks!

jimwg@ruby ~ $ compiz --replace
Backend : ini
Integration : true
Profile : default
Adding plugins
Initializing core options...done
Initializing composite options...done
Initializing opengl options...done
Initializing decor options...done
Initializing move options...done
Initializing opacify options...done
Initializing obs options...done
Initializing switcher options...done
Initializing resize options...done
Initializing place options...done
Initializing winrules options...done
Initializing session options...done
Initializing vpswitch options...done
compiz (core) - Error: Plugin 'text' not loaded.

compiz (shift) - Warn: No compatible text plugin loaded
Initializing shift options...done
Initializing snap options...done
Setting Update "command"
Setting Update "decoration_match"
Setting Update "window_match"
Setting Update "passive_opacity"
Setting Update "opacity_increase_key"
Setting Update "opacity_decrease_key"
Setting Update "opacity_matches"
Setting Update "opacity_values"
Setting Update "brightness_increase_key"
Setting Update "brightness_decrease_key"
Setting Update "brightness_matches"
Setting Update "brightness_values"
Setting Update "saturation_increase_key"
Setting Update "saturation_decrease_key"
Setting Update "saturation_matches"
Setting Update "saturation_values"

(gtk-window-decorator:2740): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_window_get_events: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

(gtk-window-decorator:2740): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_window_set_events: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed
AJ1000

Post by AJ1000 »

To fix the plugin text not loaded issue. Go to ccsm which is the compiz settings manager and tick the text plugin box, as it s not ticked. Then reboot and see if everything now works.
AJ1000

Post by AJ1000 »

Also try resetting the .cache folder as it may be corrupted. Here's what to do. Open your home folder. Under "View", select "Show Hidden". Now all you have to do is rename .cache to something like .cachebak and reboot. The system will create a new .cache.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”