Login for Children

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tcchris

Login for Children

Post by tcchris »

Hi
I have a 4 year old grandson that I would like to introduce to Linux.
Right now he visits internet sites to play games on Windows computer at his home. This requires much supervision. I would like to setup a simple desktop under Cinnamon or Gnome that would allow him to use installed programs and possibly very limited internet . Possibly a dock with no menu , just icons for a few applications. So , any suggestions ? Applications , internet safeguarding , desktop tweaks ?
I think Gcompris is good , but he gets a little bored with it
Anyone use Sugar Desktop ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Emegra
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Login for Children

Post by Emegra »

I'm glad to hear someone else doing this, I done the same thing for my 5 year old Grand-Daughter and she has a lot of fun with it Computers are a huge part of our lives and I thought it would be a good idea to introduce her early and with Linux, You'll be amazed how quick they learn,

I installed Mint XFCE on an old PC and loaded it with gcompris & childsplay, I also installed calibre ebook reader to help her with her reading, I also managed to get hold of a wacom tablet from a boot sale and she has a lot of fun with that, Children that age tend to have a short attention span so I'm always on the lookout for any interesting software or internet sites for her to try. currently she loves up to ten, your grandson might enjoy that too

This is her PC she can do what she wants with it she even has her own printer and if she screws it up the it's no big deal the important thing is that she learns how to use a computer and have fun in the process,

I used background images from her favourite movies for her desktop wallpaper and web browser (mumble from happy feet on her desktop and characters from madagascar on her web browser)

I set it up so she has no privilidges to try to prevent her doing anything destructive and created an admin account for administration (installing updates etc)

Good luck

Graeme
tcchris

Post by tcchris »

Thanks , the wallpaper is a good idea . Have not heard of the Ebook reader , but I will certainly check it out . Do you know of a good internet filter ?
Emegra
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Emegra »

Code: Select all

Do you know of a good internet filter ?
I don't know much about internet filters, I'm generally with her when she's on the PC so I've never felt there was any need for a filter, It also depends what browser you're using, I remember using a chrome extension called chrome nanny or something like that to stop an employee logging into her facebook page but I changed to firefox so I don't use it anymore, if you start a new thread for that I'm sure there are people more knowledgeable than me on that subject.

Good luck

Graeme
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

tcchris wrote: I have a 4 year old grandson that I would like to introduce to Linux.
Haha. Boy, today I'm gonna teach you to use the computer like a man.

Return to “Other topics”