Extremely low write speeds on HDD

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Extremely low write speeds on HDD

Postby Vetotat on Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:09 pm

I have been running Linux Mint 11 without any problems for 1½ year. I recently upgraded to Mint 13. The upgrade went smooth but I ran into a problem after a day of use with LM13:

I have Mint installed on an SSD and I also have a storage HDD which I have mounted using fstab. The problem I encountered is that the writespeed of the storage HDD dropped. I was transfering some hundreds of MBs from my camera to the HDD when the transfer speed suddenly dropped to 80 kB/s about halfway through the transfer process. Transfering files from the camera to the SSD have normal speeds. Copying files from the SSD to the HDD have low speeds as well (80kB/s). Read speed seems to be normal on the HDD. Copying files between partitions on th HHD also have these very low write speed. So, my storage HDD now have extremely low write speeds which makes it near unusable.

The strange thing though is that the write speeds are normal under Windows 7 on the same computer. So I guess the problem is related to Mint. What should I do?

My computer specs:
Core 2 Duo E8400
Asus P5Q-E
8GB RAM
Radeon HD4850
Intel 320 SSD 120GB
Samsung Ecogreen F4 2TB (this is the drive with the low write speeds)
Vetotat
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Hardware Support