grub rescue

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hemanth_ch

grub rescue

Post by hemanth_ch »

I had two operating systems - windows 8 and linux mint. Then i formatted the partition containing linux mint. Now i face this problem - when I start my laptop , i get this message "error: no such partition. grub rescue>".
I searched the internet and found that booting from the windows 8 DVD is a solution. But I am not able boot from the DVD ( not even able to enter the BIOS menu). I am stuck at that error screen.
Someone help me with this.
Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigj231

Re: grub rescue

Post by bigj231 »

Open up the laptop and unplug the hard drive. Then you can try changing BIOS settings and doing whatever else you need to do. I would also recommend booting from a Mint Live CD or Live USB to repair GRUB. If you boot from the windows 8 DVD and repair everything that way, you will lose GRUB and Mint.
The process I would use is:
Unplug HDD
Boot laptop using Live CD/USB
Wait until booted
Plug in HDD
Repair GRUB
Power Off
Put laptop back together
Boot and check that everything works.

You could also try booting into Mint using the GRUB console and skip the above steps. You'll have to search the internet for a tutorial on that.
hemanth_ch

Post by hemanth_ch »

The idea of removing the HDD worked. Thanks for the idea.
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

No problem. Feel free to ask if you have any more questions. If it's a different problem, start a new thread.
If you fixed this problem, don't forget to edit the title to include [SOLVED]

Return to “Installation & Boot”