[SOLVED] suspend/wake on AMD C-50 with fglrx

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jupiter66

[SOLVED] suspend/wake on AMD C-50 with fglrx

Post by jupiter66 »

Suspend/wake on this laptop (acer ao722) with fglrx is functional on Mint10. On any distribution with a more recent kernel (actually LMDE 201204-xfce), I get a black screen on resume (with catalyst driver). This is a known problem with AMD C-50 CPU (and similar). However, I can resume the laptop if I initiate the suspend from a tty, so it seems possible to develop a workaround, but need help.

Here is what I do from the desktop:
1) CTRL-ALT-F1 and login on this text console.
2) sudo /usr/sbin/pm-suspend
3) press a key to wake the laptop => see nothing but...
4) sudo vbetool post => I enter this command "in blind" and then the backlight appears
5) with one or two "enter", I get the command prompt!

At this point, I can't return to X (CTRL-ALT_F7). If I do, I will have to reboot the laptop. However, if I do another suspend-wake-vbetool in the text console I can return to X after. No idea why I have to do it twice, but it works. The funny thing is that if I suspend the laptop from X at this point, it works but I get a corrupted display at resume and have to restart X. This may be another issue.

I had the idea to add the "vbetool post" command in a script called in the wake process. I did it in /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/000kernel-change because it seems to be the last script called. It works! No need to run the step 4 in blind anymore! However, I still have to suspend from a tty, do it twice and by hand since I don't know how the apply the power management settings in xfce system-wide (close the lid or suspend button do nothing in a tty).

Clearly, the laptop can sleep and resume. Does anybody have a clue to improve the workaround? Of course, I would like to suspend from X. But if I have to do it in a tty, if would be nice to just close the lid and do it only one time.

I don't think it's LMDE specific but I posted here since it's the actual distribution I'm testing.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jupiter66

Re: suspend/wake on AMD C-50 with fglrx: nearly functional?

Post by jupiter66 »

I tried the same trick on Xubuntu 12.04. This restores the backlight but all I get is a blinking cursor (or vertical lines with flashing red blocks). As I said, with LMDE-xfce, I can successfully suspend+wake this laptop (manually). I did't try with Mint 13 but have no hope since it's based on 12.04... So LMDE seems to be a better candidate for an acceptable solution. Any idea to improve the trick?
giplt

Post by giplt »

Thanks for finding this out! Finally some hope of one day being able to use the C-50's GPU and be able to suspend the machine as well...
I just tried the trick on Crunchbang Waldorf (debian wheezy + openbox) which works as well. I've no clue on how to proceed from here, but I'll start experimenting as well and keep you posted on this forum.
jupiter66

Post by jupiter66 »

Finally, the trick (with adaptation) works better on a ubuntu base (not tried on mint 13, but on xubuntu 12.04). In brief, I have to do 2 manual suspend-wake-vbetool from a terminal and return to X. But after, I can suspend-wake from X (until next reboot)!

See http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... tcount=176.
jupiter66

Post by jupiter66 »

I have simplified my trick to have a workable suspend/wake with catalyst. I actually use Xubuntu 12.04. Here we go:

Configuration
============
Open a terminal and:

Code: Select all

sudo VISUAL=/usr/bin/leafpad visudo
(replace leafpad by another editor if required)
For each user on the laptop, add a line like this (replace bruno with user name):

%bruno ALL=(ALL:ALL) NOPASSWD:/usr/sbin/pm-suspend
Then, create a file in your ~/bin directory (or anywhere else in your $path). Name this file with a very short name easy to remember and to type "in blind". Here I choose the name "ve" (in french, veille means suspend). Make it executable (change its permission). Edit this file and add this line:

sudo /usr/sbin/pm-suspend
Using the trick
============
For the first suspend (after a fresh boot), you have to:
1) press CTRL-ALT-F1 and login on this text console
2) enter your command (the short name, for me: "ve") => the laptop goes to sleep
3) press a key to wake the laptop => see nothing...
4) type your command again (in blind) => the laptop goes to sleep again
5) press a key to wake the laptop => see nothing...
6) press CTRL-ALT-F7 to return to X

After, you can sleep and resume from the graphical interface until the next reboot. Yes, there is a trick for the first sleep, but it is now very simple to execute. Enjoy!
jupiter66

Post by jupiter66 »

With Catalyst 12.10 (and probably 12.9), suspend/resume works. At least, on xubuntu 12.04.
jazz.h
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED] suspend/wake on AMD C-50 with fglrx

Post by jazz.h »

Hi!
I wonder if anyone has tried the new bios v 1.11 (13-NOV-2012) for this little fellow...and report if some of the issues exposed here are resolved...
http://support.acer.com/us/en/product/d ... delId=3658
flemmingbjerke

Post by flemmingbjerke »

I can confirm that this weird trick works on kubuntu 12.04 on a eee 1015bx, but the return to X does not seems to work - in spite of two wakeups. Reboot seems necessary.
flemmingbjerke

Post by flemmingbjerke »

Just checked out the proprietary 13-3 catalyst betadriver. No suspend problem - no overheating problem, the latter being a severe problem with eee 1015bx.

Return to “LMDE Archive”