How to complety get rid Nautilus

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Incentive I.C

How to complety get rid Nautilus

Post by Incentive I.C »

So I decided to update Cinnamon to 1.6 were i see a new and better file manger is also included.I call myself trying to completely get rid of Nautilus but it seems there are still so files left behind on it. How do i completely get rid of it as I like Nemo more.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gweaver

Re: How to complety get rid Nautilus

Post by gweaver »

I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 with the Cinnamon PPA, so I can't be 100% sure this will work for you - but here goes..

This command

Code: Select all

dpkg --list | grep nautilus
should show you which nautilus related packages are installed.

You will have nautilus, nautilus-data, and quite possibly other nautilus extension related stuff installed. The nautilus-data library is a dependency for Cinnamon, but you can remove nautilus itself and probably everything else nautilus related.

sudo apt-get purge nautilus
You'll probably also want to purge everything nautilus related except nautilus-data. Synaptic is your friend here.

A word of warning: gnome-session depends on Nautilus, so you won't be able to use Gnome-Shell. If you find you can't log-in to Cinnamon either, you'll have to put gnome-session back using

sudo apt-get install gnome-session
If you need to drop to a text login use Ctrl+Alt+F1.

Nautilus may also be set as the preferred application for opening folders (it is in Ubuntu). These preferences are stored in /etc/gnome/defaults.list
This command

grep nautilus /etc/gnome/defaults.list
will show you the folder/file types that nautilus is associated with.

You can replace nautilus with nemo as the preferred application with this command:

sed -i.back 's/nautilus/nemo/g' /etc/gnome/defaults.list
Unfortunately some applications may still be hard coded to launch Nautilus and won't respect your application preferences. I think cryptkeeper is one, but I haven't found any others.

Please let us know how you get on.
Incentive I.C

Post by Incentive I.C »

Good evening!Well i followed all of the your suggestions below gweaver ( think you for them by the way!)and i have seemed to have for the most part got rid of Nautilus however the application is rather stubborn. its folder is still there it it seemed to have made a .deb file for reinstallion when it was deleted ( I looked on a fresh version of Mint 13 With nautilus still installed and it did have a .deb file for nautilus anywhere.

Also while i was fiddling around trying to get rid of everything in the Synaptic I came across an application that seemed to have a part off nautilus in it but deleting it would have gotten rid of other application so i left it alone i can't remember the name right off hand though but if you need it i will get it!

Oh and do you know what in the world Mint-meta cinnamon is? I was getting rid of a nautilus extension thingy and that was also uninstalled. If it is important I can also just reinstall it.

Cheers :D
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Incentive I.C wrote:How do i completely get rid of it as I like Nemo more.
Mint 14 RC doesn't come with nautilus installed. Instead of trying to rid your current installation of it, perhaps waiting a week or two for the official release of Mint 14 is an option.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Incentive I.C

Post by Incentive I.C »

TehGhodTrole wrote: Mint 14 RC doesn't come with nautilus installed. Instead of trying to rid your current installation of it, perhaps waiting a week or two for the official release of Mint 14 is an option.
Yeah that is an option but I have looked into Mint 14 and I have to say it is a good OS but there just really isn't anything there that makes me want to switch from 13 to 14. 14 has a lot of stability updates which is great but my stability problems have pretty much been fixed from updating for Cinnamon 1.4 to 1.6!
Also 13 is a long term release and and pretty much everything being updated for 14 is going to 13.
I do not update to something just for the sake of being up to date. If I did that I would be in a on the side of a building with an outlet near by with like 10 different computers.
Plus installing a whole different OS just to get rid off one program is a bit overkill don't you think. Also what if I decide I like the file manger Dolphin most of all and want to get rid of nemo. I would be in the same boat :wink:
Thumbs up( do we do that on this forum?) for the 10minute response though.
BoscoBearbank
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BoscoBearbank »

~$ dpkg -l *autilus*
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-=================================
un  libnautilus-ex <none>                    (no description available)
ii  libnautilus-ex 1:3.5.90.rea i386         libraries for nautilus components
un  nautilus       <none>                    (no description available)
un  nautilus-cd-bu <none>                    (no description available)
ii  nautilus-data  1:3.5.90.rea all          data files for nautilus
un  nautilus-sendt <none>                    (no description available)
un  nautilus-ubunt <none>                    (no description available)
un  python-nautilu <none>                    (no description available)
Deleting the two remaining files whould have taken out components that I don't want to lose (like nemo)
gweaver

Post by gweaver »

Incentive I.C wrote:Good evening!Well i followed all of the your suggestions below gweaver ( think you for them by the way!)...
Oh and do you know what in the world Mint-meta cinnamon is? I was getting rid of a nautilus extension thingy and that was also uninstalled. If it is important I can also just reinstall it.
Cheers :D
Glad you found that helpful:-) I'm afraid I have no idea what Mint-meta cinnamon is - I don't have Mint 13 on my machine.

I tried Ubuntu 12.10 and I will be sticking with 12.04. I really don't like where Gnome is going; it's all getting dumbed down (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=116480), and I think nautilus is just the tip of the iceberg. Mint 14 will be affected by these changes just like 12.10. Ubuntu 12.04 + Cinnamon hits a sweet spot of features, stability and user interface for me, so I expect to stick with it for quite a while. I had Mint installed I'd be sticking with Mint 13, but with updated Cinnamon.
BoscoBearbank
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BoscoBearbank »

Looks like mint-meta-cinnamon installs a set of default packages for cinnamon. It was uninstalled on my system when I got removed metacity
Incentive I.C

Post by Incentive I.C »

BoscoBearbank wrote:Looks like mint-meta-cinnamon installs a set of default packages for cinnamon. It was uninstalled on my system when I got removed metacity
So it seems Mint-meta cinnamon is nothing to worry about as it was really small in size i cannot see it being tied to anything important any way!

is it normal behaver for a application to make a .deb of itself before being uninstalled. Its great i have to option to install it again but that is rather odd and a bit funny :)
Also do you have a better way of getting rid of the applications left overs without manually going through to delete them like in windows? You have been quite helpful by the way!

Return to “Cinnamon”