[Solved]Remove and activate wlan drivers after every reboot

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
coltstrgj

[Solved]Remove and activate wlan drivers after every reboot

Post by coltstrgj »

[Solved]
I know that I am supposed to post the mintWifi results, but I am using wifi now, so it wouldn't actually yield any useful information. I have the dell inspiron 1318 with the broadcom 1395 wlan card. The problem is that after every power off I have to "remove", and then "activate" the wifi drivers (info below) from in the additional drivers window. Before I do that, the network settings button in the info bar doesn't even have the wireless option. After I do, it works perfectly fine. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to fix this. I have considered just making a script that runs on startup to remove and activate it automatically, so if that is the only solution, could someone explain how to do so. I can add it to startup myself, but working with the additional drivers thing from terminal is something I would need to be helped with.
The "additional driver" is the "Broadcom STA wireless driver" with the information " This package contains Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driver for use with Broadcom's BCM4311-, BCM4312-, BCM4313-, BCM4321-, BCM4322-, BCM43224-, and BCM43225-, BCM43227- and BCM43228-based hardware."
thanks for any help. If I left anything out (which I'm sure that I did) just leave a comment telling me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Remove and activate wlan drivers every time after reboot

Post by remoulder »

What version of mint, how and where are you running it from?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
coltstrgj

Post by coltstrgj »

remoulder wrote:What version of mint, how and where are you running it from?
wow, I can not believe that I left that out. Sorry about that. Linux mint 13 Cinnamon 64 bit. It is dual booted with vista which I never use, but I still have files on it and am too lazy to copy them to an external hard drive.

Also If it is decided that I will have to go about re-installing them every time, then would it be ok to just do a temp install on startup so that I don't have to waste tome uninstalling.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Thanks, can you compare the outputs before and after you remove/activate the STA driver of

Code: Select all

lsmod
and post any lines that have changed/been added or removed.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
coltstrgj

Post by coltstrgj »

remoulder wrote:Thanks, can you compare the outputs before and after you remove/activate the STA driver of

lsmod
and post any lines that have changed/been added or removed.
Thank you for helping, and for being so patient.
According to "diff" and a text file containing $ lsmod at all three stages (after boot, after "remove", and after "activate") there is no difference between boot and "remove" just as one would expect, but after "activate" diff shows returns
1a2,4
> lib80211_crypt_tkip 17390 0
> wl 2568210 0
> lib80211 14381 2 lib80211_crypt_tkip,wl

The lines above are in the "activate" file (obviously, but it makes me feel more useful if I tell you that)
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

If there's no difference after remove this would indicate the driver isn't loaded or maybe installed. Can you try after booting not activating the driver but opening a terminal and entering

sudo modprobe wl
Does the wifi become enabled or do you get an error? If it works then try making it permanent with

echo "wl" | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
If you get a not found error when trying to load the wl module, try

apt install bcmwl-kernel-source
and if no errors try the steps again.

coltstrgj

Post by coltstrgj »

That worked, thanks a ton. I cant believe that it was so easy. Also whats the

echo "wl"
for? just out of curiosity. Is that just so that you can tell when it has finished? Or does echo have some top secret thing that it does other than the usual? Thanks again
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: [Solved]Remove and activate wlan drivers after every reb

Post by remoulder »

coltstrgj wrote:whats the echo "wl" for?
You have to read the entire line as one command, the echo just sends the bit in quotes to the standard output which is then piped by the | to the standard input where it serves as the input to the tee command. Or in laymans terms the line just adds the bit in quotes to the end of the file in the tee command.

coltstrgj

Post by coltstrgj »

ok thanks
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Please post the output of inxi -N.

If you have a BCM4311 or 4312, you do not need to use the STA driver. The driver often does not work on these cards. You can remove STA and install firmware-b43-installer (4311) or firmware-b43-lpphy-installer (4312) from the repository.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Networking”