Solved: Software Manager

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yarddawg87

Solved: Software Manager

Post by yarddawg87 »

I am not really new to linux. I have been messing around with it for a few years. However I haven't done much in the line of command terminal fixes, config, what not... I have been running linux mint 13 on a few pc's since it's release. Really pleased for the most part. I recently decided to install it on a pc I would use for myself as well as share media to a patriot media player in the Living room. Long story short. I had network configuation problems that I could not seem to fix. so being that I haven't really had this setup long I just did a fresh reinstall (fixed the network config problems). After the reinstall I installed updates, and went to install samba with software manager. Software Manager show it is installed but it isn't, I uninstalled it and reinstalled it with softare manager. and it still isn't in my programs. I did a complete wipe of the drive with Dban and then reinstalled mint again. Same thing. Samba shows it is installed in software manager but it isn't there. I am at a lost. Thought about installing another hdd and but with the wipe it shouldn't be there until I install it. Uninstalling it and reinstalling it doesn't work. It just isn't there to configure. Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.

I am running linux mint 13 64bit
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Software Manager

Post by caf4926 »

All my boxes are Linux so I don't use samba
But it's configured by editing the config files
I don't think you will find it in the applications list
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Samba is installed by default on Linux Mint 13. You didn't mention which desktop environment you are using, but for MATE for example you have Shared Folders in the Administration menu to configure Samba. And you can share a folder with the cleverly disguised option in the right-click menu of your file browser, called "Share Folder" (when you right-click a folder).

Samba is a service, and doesn't have a front-end of its own. You can use one of the options shown to share folders, or you can install a front-end like system-config-samba. This gives you Samba as an entry in the Administration menu, from which you can again configure which folders to share (you already could with the options shown above).
caf4926 wrote:But it's configured by editing the config files
I don't think you will find it in the applications list
Eh? Perhaps look before you answer :wink:
yarddawg87

Post by yarddawg87 »

I understand about sharing folders with the network. What is weird is that although I didn't realize that samba was installed by default with mint13, I did install it from software manager and configure it. It was listed under system tools after the install. Now after reinstalling mint, (Mate, by the way) it isn't there, and system manager say it is installed. I will play around with the sharing features to see if I can get my machine to share with the box again. The front end gui in Samba had a user config interface that I might need.

I just installed my media drives again to see if I can share them. Will post results, Thanks for the info.

Correction: Samba was listed under Adminitration in Applications.
Last edited by yarddawg87 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
yarddawg87

Post by yarddawg87 »

Just as when I originally set this up. I shared the folders with the right click share folder option. My window machines does not have permission. My media box ask for user id and password. I set samba up to not ask for user name and password in the users part of the gui of samba to allow my box to access the media files without having to log in previously by tying the guest account with my media user id. But without that tool I am stuck again. I will keep trying to work around this, but I am not a wizard at terminal commands line congiguring, So if anyone has any ideas, thanks,
yarddawg87

Post by yarddawg87 »

Solved:

I looked in the software managaer at samba results and the "system-config-samba" is a Gui for managing shares and users. I installed this and it is exactly the same interface that was with Samba originally. Set it up the user account to allow no password login and works great.

I would have thought this gui would have been part of mint 13 if samba is installed by default. Anyway I am setup now.

Thanks for the info any your time.

Return to “Software & Applications”