Kindle Book downloads from Amazon

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
walkkenn

Kindle Book downloads from Amazon

Post by walkkenn »

Within the last week I started having problems downloading books from amazon for my kindle. I buy (or borrow a book from the library), I am directed to the download using computer. The file downloads to the computer and then I mount the kindle device to my PC running Mint 13 XFCE and transfer the file to my kindle.

Up until last week, this was working perfectly, but suddenly, when I try to transfer new .azw files from amazon to my kindle via USB, I get a file warning and it won't transfer.

When I use windows 7 side of my computer, no problem. Now I have to restart my computer to download and transfer book files to my kindle.

What did amazon do to it's files and why?
Last edited by SMG on Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Locking 10 yr old topic to prevent new posts from being added.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Kindle Book downloads from Amazon

Post by Oscar799 »

I'm in UK and just tried downloading a couple of free Kindle books from Amazon UK
I'm using Mint 13 Cinnamon
I sent one direct to my device - worked perfectly
I saved the second to my harddrive then manually transferred the .azw file - that worked perfectly too
Here you need a premium account to access the library,which I don't have,so I couldn't check if that works
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

To begin with, .azw files are not Kindle book files. Let's get this straight. .azw files are files which link to DRM controlled copies of Kindle books. Amazon wants you to download Kindle books directly to your Kindle device and manage them, not from your computer, but from the Amazon cloud. They do not want you able to read the same book on both your Kindle reader and, say, Kindle for Windows, or your Kindle app on an Android device without applying for the book from each device in turn. Kindle book files have a .mobi extension for the non-DRM versions.

I have no idea where you got the directions to download your books to your computer first, but that is NOT the directions I got from my Kindle app or Kindle for Windows.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

On Amazon UK the option to download to your computer is offered alongside the option to download to a named Kindle
walkkenn

Post by walkkenn »

Actually, if you borrow books from an online Public Library, you will notice a large percentage of these books cannot be downloaded from the "Whisper Net" (wi-fi), but, because of something in the publisher agreement, must be downloaded to the computer first and then transfered via USB.

Once you have your book "checked-out" from the library you are redirected to download it from Amazon.
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

Same here. I've done it this way since the Kindle was invented and all of a sudden I ran into this problem with three different books on two different Kindles. However, I can't say it's the .azw doing it. Other books of that file type download and transfer fine as usual. I haven't had a chance to discuss it with Amazon yet, but their customer service is very good ordinarily.
walkkenn wrote:Within the last week I started having problems downloading books from amazon for my kindle. ... Up until last week, this was working perfectly, but suddenly, when I try to transfer new .azw files from amazon to my kindle via USB, I get a file warning and it won't transfer.
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

On the "Manage Your Kindle" page the option to download the purchased product via USB to your computer is clearly offered by Amazon and always has been. Instructions are also available on the site. So I think you are mistaken, cwsnyder.
cwsnyder wrote:Amazon wants you to download Kindle books directly to your Kindle device and manage them, not from your computer, but from the Amazon cloud. ... I have no idea where you got the directions to download your books to your computer first, but that is NOT the directions I got from my Kindle app or Kindle for Windows.
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

I may indeed be mistaken. I don't have a Kindle, I have a Nook, and only read Kindle books on my Android tablet.
walkkenn

(SOLVED) Re: Kindle Book downloads from Amazon

Post by walkkenn »

Install CALIBRE and use it to manage your kindle downloads. You can find using the software manager. 8)
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

cwsnyder wrote:I may indeed be mistaken. I don't have a Kindle, I have a Nook, and only read Kindle books on my Android tablet.
Yep why I rooted my Nook Color and running CM7 and can install the kindle app from google play. Also get more choices for ereading apps like moon+ and more browser choices.

As mentioned Calibre is a great program for converting ebook types,tagging,organizing and has a windows version to.

Return to “Hardware Support”