mintBackup - file location? (Resolved)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
joez

mintBackup - file location? (Resolved)

Post by joez »

Currently running Mint 13 Mate 32 bit, and thought I would backup the user installed apps before installing Mint 14. I click on "Backup software selection" and get a long listing which I then selected "Desktop" for the storage location, and am informed the backup was successful, but when looking on the Desktop no file can be found. Tried a second time and got the same results, but then tried the "Restore software selection" option and am shown 2 backup files the same size, and with mod times matching the times I attempted to make the backups, but am unable to find them anywhere on the Desktop, even from a terminal with the ls or find commands. Now I would like to delete them, but HOW?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: mintBackup - file location?

Post by remoulder »

Show Hidden Files perhaps? Failing that are you sure you specified 'your' desktop and not root's?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
joez

Post by joez »

I found the files, they're stored in /root/Desktop. I imagine that's because the program runs as root, but then I take it an install of Mint 14 would eliminate the backup file stored in /root/Desktop rendering the backup function a waste of time if the files were not moved elsewhere prior to installing the new OS version. By clicking on Desktop I was expecting the file to be stored on the /home/user/Desktop which should remain intact after installing the new OS version. At least it makes no sense to store backups on the partition that is going to be recreated or overwritten. Perhaps a warning to move the file before proceding should be offered?
cmargolin

Post by cmargolin »

I had the same problem restoring on Mint 14. I would set the source and destination and one or both would change to root. I ended up just selecting all from the backup file in the file manager and dragging the files to the correct directory.
Hammer459
Level 1
Level 1

Re: mintBackup - file location? (NOT Resolved)

Post by Hammer459 »

I have the very same problem. I backed up on Mint 12 and tried a restore on a fresh Mint 14 (64-bit MATE). All files are restored to /root although I specified /home/<my user>.
Good thing I have multiple disks so that I could revert to Mint 12

Return to “Software & Applications”