Linux Mint 14 RC

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Linux Mint 14 RC

Post by catweazel »

exploder wrote:I would go so far as to say this is the nicest looking release I have ever ran. :D
A bit of colour apart from grey in the default desktop background image would make a better first impression.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
galt

Post by galt »

Hi all!
have a trouble with installation of LM 14 RC Cinnamon 32. It's hold on at the logo screen. I can't use alt+f1 just power button.
Any ideas?
I install on my laptop dell inspiron n5040 with integrated intel video.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

@gait, this is a discussion thread not a support one. Mint 14 is not released yet, discussion of RC issues is requested at http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2205
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
bwat47

Post by bwat47 »

Linux mint 14 is bar far the best release of linux mint I have ever used. I had some issues/bugs with cinnamon on mint 13, but on 14 its all rock solid. This release is incredibly stable and bug free. I've just switched all my machines to it.

I actually quite like unity and gnome-shell, but I was getting sick of the constant buginess of both. It felt like every day I was discovering some new and annoying bug. Mint 14 + cinnamon is just totally fast and stable so far and have had almost no problems (I had one issue with tearing on fullscreen video but was able to fix that with the following workaround: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/838). The new nemo file manager is just awesome too. Props to the mint team.

Mint even has all my preferred software out of the box. I haven't had to install a single codec or add a single ppa. One of the best out of the box experiences I've ever had in linux. My only qualm with mint out of the box is the default theme/icons/wallpaper, but all easily changed.
blued
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blued »

Cant get the mate-search tool to find anything in the File System, only works in home folder. Even if run as admin. This on 2 different installs of RC 14 (Mate), one in Virtualbox and another on hard drive.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

caf4926 wrote:The release is in the repo
http://mint.mirror.root.lu/isos/stable/14/
Yup, I'm running it already. I downloaded the .iso from a mirror here in the US just so "heanet" wouldn't get bogged down because of us LM users who like to "jump the gun" as it were. :D No problems so far with my desktop PC and considering how well LM 13 performed on my older ThinkPad R61 I don't envision any problems there either. The desktop PC is as follows:

Intel Core2 Quad @2.6 Ghz
8 GB DDR2
1.0 TB HDD
Nvidia GT430 w/1.0 GB DDR3 (running the Nvidia 310.14 "experimental" driver installed via Software Sources)

It may be my own perception messing about but Linux Mint/Cinnamon (amd64) seems noticeably faster than LM 13/Cinnamon (amd64). I can't explain that any further but things do seem much snappier. Also, I was very pleased to see the latest Nvidia driver (310.14) offered in "Software Sources". It sure beats having to add the "xorg-edgers" PPA in order to get it. Adding the driver still mucks up the boot splash screen which was just re-enabled by once again for this release but that's an ongoing problem with Plymouth rather than Mint. No big deal.

<nonmintrant>

The only real problem I encountered was non-Mint. Once again, Google Earth has nearly unreadable application fonts and the usual hack to fix it no longer works. Like I said, not Mint's problem but since this is the "Chat about Linux Mint" thread, I can feel safe saying it's bloody annoying! I'm continually wishing that Medibuntu would pick up building a proper .deb package of Google Earth again. Medibuntu's package of GE always adhered to system font settings.

I just had to complain about something. :wink:

</nonmintrant>

Very polished indeed. Nicely done.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

Haven't tried Google Earth yet but MATE 14 is definitely better than 13! :)

Processor : 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8700 @ 2.53GHz
Memory : 4098MB (466MB used)
Operating System : Linux Mint 14 Nadia
-Display-
Resolution : 1366x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Gallium 0.4 on NV96
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
-Input Devices-
Power Button
Lid Switch
Sleep Button
Power Button
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
Logitech USB Receiver
Logitech USB Receiver
Logitech USB Keyboard
Logitech USB Keyboard
Video Bus
LG Webcam
HDA Intel Mic
HDA Intel Headphone
SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
-Printers-
No printers found
-SCSI Disks-
ATA ST9500325AS
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT20N
cra1g321

Post by cra1g321 »

The only issue i've noticed with LM14 is with the screen recorders i use.

Videos made with gtk-recordmydesktop have sound which is very slow and deep, regardless of what i set the FPS to be.

Videos made by Kazam contain weird colours and bars as well.

Both worked fine on Linux Mint 13 :?

Kazam also seems to randomly freeze whenever i go to click on it's applet icon, really quite annoying.

It's been a bit of nightmare for me trying to get a decent desktop recorder on Linux that can record the desktop and sound correctly.

So far gtk-recordmydesktop on Linux Mint 13 has been my only success.
d00med

Post by d00med »

caf4926 wrote:The release is in the repo
http://mint.mirror.root.lu/isos/stable/14/
Anyone have torrent mirrors? There's this site, but I've never heard of "BurnBit."
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

I wouldn't suggest downloading any torrents from unknown sites, especially considering it isn't officially released. IIRC, Mint 12 had an ISO pass for final which was then updated due to some MATE problem, so they don't announce anything official until they are sure that the ISO is all good. It's still fine to download the ISO from the official mint mirrors, but the torrent has a decent chance of being bad.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

On my previous post I had a small non-mint rant section about how Google Earth (version 6.2 in the repositories) still suffered from nearly unreadable application fonts and the usual hack didn't work. Well, that's still true but on a whim I downloaded the Google Earth 7 .deb file directly from the Google Earth website, uninstalled 6.2 via Synaptic and installed version 7 via GDebi and lo and behold, the GE application fonts are fine. :shock: Nice a crisp. Looks like Google finally listened? I did have all the dependencies for GE 6.2 already installed but I'm not sure whether they're needed or not any longer. I'll check it out on my laptop since I don't have Google Earth installed on it yet.

Now Linux Mint 14/Cinnamon is right where I want it. Wonder when they'll make the official announcement. :?:
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
phill1978

Post by phill1978 »

installed mint 14 on my pc as dual boot. was really impressed with speed and graphical changes. there still some things that need to be made easier but on the whole a good free operating system for an old laptop i think but possibly not much more. must add now the sound works out of all speakers where with mint 13 it didnt!

installed (no obvious instructions to launch the .run file *obvious to newbies to allow as executable within the menu??) the 64bit amd ati drivers for the hd 5850 and it totally ruined the system, graphics were missing, buttons didnt work and the hot corner icon vanished? unexpected from a driver that even icons can go missing, in fact the entire of cinnamon broke.. not very 'windows' like that one install of a driver can corrupt the o/s, luckily i had only just installed the system, id be worried to update any gfx driver further down the line

its solidified my opinion. Linux is excellent for a laptop with intel graphics but for stability on a larger desktop you STILL cant be sure as a user what combo of version for both o/s and gfx driver will mince your install. removing the driver just made things worse. I do realise 14 is beta but i have had the exact same driver woes on mint 13 with ATi ... the worlds most popular gpu at the moment?

there has to be a solution? surely if you start to video convert, do CAD or 2D work, and yes game the driver needs to be 100% for the GPU, its almost the single most important aspect.

next to try ubuntu, il report back
phill1978

Post by phill1978 »

errrg Ubuntu is hideous! :shock:

fair play, the graphics issue persists on ubuntu. So this is great, no 5850 driver for 64bit thats stable, i find this impossible to belive.

mint 14 is beutiful, if only i could get a stable upto date AMD graphics driver ? any ideas?
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Did you try installing the drivers directly from their tab in "Software Sources"?
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

phill1978 wrote:errrg Ubuntu is hideous! :shock:

fair play, the graphics issue persists on ubuntu. So this is great, no 5850 driver for 64bit thats stable, i find this impossible to belive.

mint 14 is beutiful, if only i could get a stable upto date AMD graphics driver ? any ideas?
AMD website had all the updated drivers in all platform
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

However, I should say too, not all updated drivers are stable for use in a combination of kernel/distros.
zoooz

Post by zoooz »

esteban1uy wrote:To get rid of those random hotspot activations under VirtualBox, just disable it in Cinnamon settings and use the Workspaces switcher (or the Expo) applet instead.
I encountered this same problem with the current version of Linux Mint 14 under VirtualBox - moving the mouse would randomly trigger the hotspot at top left. And dragging windows would cause them to jump randomly to the left side of the screen.

I found what I think is a preferable solution (based on comments at http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=54353).

I created a script called fixmouse.sh in my home directory. Inside the script I have:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
# Mouse pointer fix - see https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=54353
xinput set-prop "VirtualBox mouse integration" "Coordinate Transformation Matrix" 0.5 0 0 0 0.5 0 0 0 1.0
xinput set-prop "VirtualBox mouse integration" "Coordinate Transformation Matrix" 1.0 0 0 0 1.0 0 0 0 1.0
I set the script to be executable:

Code: Select all

chmod +x fixmouse.sh
I then used the Startup Applications item (under Preferences in the Cinnamon menu) to create an item that runs this script whenever I log on. Now I don't have the problem any more.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”