[SOLVED] Magnet Link

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Magnet Link

Post by Garvan »

When I select "Magnet Link" from a torrent site, it opens Transmission in Linux Mint, and then nothing happens. Do I need to install other software?

Is there any reason to use a "Magnet Link" instead of a "Torrent file"? The "Torrent File" works with Transmission.

Garvan

EDIT:
I decided to add SOLVED to the title because my issues are solved. My problem was caused by not being able to change the location where the files are saved. The interface is confusing (and I suspect it does not work as intended), so other first time users may have the same difficulties, but once understood and set up properly, the problem disappears. I see others are still using the thread, but I do not think their issues are the same.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Notebook: DELL Latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (2011)
Notebook: DELL Latitude 5280, i5-73000 @ 2.7 GHz., 16 GB RAM, Linux Mint 19.2 (2019)
King Duzu

Re: Magnet Link

Post by King Duzu »

Here is some information what magnet links really are:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/BitTorre ... 2536.shtml

On The Pirate Bay only torrents with few seeders have the option to download the torrent file.
But there is a way to convert magnet links to a torrent file:
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=lm&q=convert+ ... to+torrent
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Garvan »

Thank you for your help.
Notebook: DELL Latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (2011)
Notebook: DELL Latitude 5280, i5-73000 @ 2.7 GHz., 16 GB RAM, Linux Mint 19.2 (2019)
King Duzu

Post by King Duzu »

No problem mate :)
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

I think I had the same problem the first time with a magnet link in Transmission. This was a few months ago, so I'm not positive about this response. I think I had to do a file association before Transmission would recognize the file type.
jamessasek

Post by jamessasek »

[sigh] can anyone here help with me getting Vuze (formerly Azureus) to run the magnet link? Right now when I click one nothing happens. I cannot get it to open Vuze which is what I would like. Thanks,
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Do you have an example you can't get Transmission to open? I never ran into anything Transmission couldn't open. Magnet link support in Transmission was added ages ago.

Return to “Open Chat”