[SOLVED...sort of] Backlit keyboard -- MacBook Air, 2012

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
d-l-b

[SOLVED...sort of] Backlit keyboard -- MacBook Air, 2012

Post by d-l-b »

Is there a reason the backlit keyboard does not work on MATE vs Cinnamon (using the release candidate, Nadia)? With Cinnamon, there's a nice icon that pops up when I press the F5 and F6 keys to increase and decrease the brightness of the keyboard -- using MATE, there's nothing. I prefer MATE and would really like to be able use this feature. Thanks for any help.

UPDATE:
I've been trying out a bunch of distros and I'm currently using Kubuntu 12.10. I had the same issue where the F5 and F6 buttons were not mapped properly. Here's the hack-job I did to get it to work by using /etc/acpi/asus-keyboard-backlight.sh as a template.

Open up the ol' terminal and change the permissions of the "brightness" file so you don't have to be root

Code: Select all

sudo chmod 777 /sys/class/leds/smc::kbd_backlight/brightness
Then, I mapped the following script to the F5 key to reduce the brightness by a factor of 25 (max is 255)

#!/bin/sh

KEYS_DIR=/sys/class/leds/smc::kbd_backlight

test -d $KEYS_DIR || exit 0

MIN=0
MAX=$(cat $KEYS_DIR/max_brightness)
VAL=$(cat $KEYS_DIR/brightness)

VAL=$((VAL-25))

if [ "$VAL" -lt $MIN ]; then
	VAL=$MIN
elif [ "$VAL" -gt $MAX ]; then
	VAL=$MAX
fi

echo $VAL > $KEYS_DIR/brightness
I then mapped the F6 key using the same script, but changing

VAL=$((VAL-25))
to

VAL=$((VAL+25))
Annnnnnd that seems to work! It's not the most elegant of solutions, but it works!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Backlit keyboard -- MacBook Air, 2012

Post by remoulder »

Discussion of Mint 14 RC issues us requested at http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2205
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
jiii

Re: [SOLVED...sort of] Backlit keyboard -- MacBook Air, 2012

Post by jiii »

If you have Nvidia Graphics try a different driver - worked for me (MBP mid 2009)

Return to “Hardware Support”