System Boots to tty1 and user cannot login

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
spandey

System Boots to tty1 and user cannot login

Post by spandey »

Just installed my Mint Mate 13 64 bit, 2 days back and it was working fine. Today all of a sudden the system boots to tty1. When trying to logon to tty1, nothing happens and tty1 login prompt is back again in a second. Root user can login in tty1.

The same thing happened in XFCE 13 and I reinstall mate thinking it might solve the problem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
spandey

Re: System Boots to tty1 and user cannot login

Post by spandey »

While looking at the bootlog found this:

Code: Select all

mdm[1341]: WARNING: mdm_config_parse: Authdir /var/lib/mdm does not exist. Aborting.
mdm_config_parse: Authdir /var/lib/mdm does not exist. Aborting.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Topic moved here by moderator. If you are having trouble booting then the topic probably belongs under the 'Installation and Boot' section not under 'Newbie' when you have already made over 400 posts and been a forum member for going on 3 years.
Animegirl

Post by Animegirl »

I have the same problem on Mint Debian, installed yesterday 5 times 10 times booted 3 with black screen and reset, the last one, that was OK, was shutdown-ed without problem, normal, but now i can not start it, because of this error. I log me in as root, look at the directory, this Dir is on the disk, don't know, why it can not be read :(
Animegirl

Post by Animegirl »

Repaired, the dir has wrong permission, man must change it.

Return to “Installation & Boot”