newbie prob with permissions

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rusty_jones

newbie prob with permissions

Post by rusty_jones »

I'm trying to move a file from one folder to another, when I do a copy and paste I get permission denied. Can anyone help a Newbie with Cinnimon.

Rusty
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: newbie prob with permissions

Post by xenopeek »

What directory are you trying to copy to? If this is a system directory (i.e., not your home directory) then you need superuser privileges to copy files there. If you are very sure that is what you want to be doing, press Alt+F2 to bring up the run dialog. Then run the command:

Code: Select all

gksudo nautilus
or if you ware already on Cinnamon 1.6:

Code: Select all

gksudo nemo
and you will start your file manager as the superuser. Perform your copy operation, double check you are in the right directory because as the superuser a mistaken action can break your system, and then close this file manager so you drop the superuser permissions again.

Return to “Other topics”