Building up to LMDE from debian CLI and hit a wall

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Building up to LMDE from debian CLI and hit a wall

Postby lizbeth on Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:36 pm

not sure where to put this. I suppose here is as good as anywhere.

So with debian squeeze i did a command line install. For some reason after adding the LMDE repos i couldn't do apt-get install xorg* because of broken package errors, so I did it before, in squeeze. No problem

I did the pinning thingy. And because I want to a linuxmint lxde look and feel I want to steal some from the lisa-lxde repos. but that's not the real problem.

The wall I hit is after pinning linuxmint in /etc/apt/preferences, I want to install mint-meta-codecs and mint-meta-debian-core but i get errors telling me that files aren't installable that are dependencies... files like gstreamer0.10-esd which are in fact in the repos. I searched my own repos to be sure they are there. I have the same repos set up in both.

I haven't yet installed anything mint. I want to install mintsystem but if I do that then mint-artwork-cinnamon get installed by default, unless I enable the lisa repos and install mint-artwork-lxde. Which is fine but I don't want to pull from the lisa repos before installing mint-meta-codecs and mint-meta-debian-core and risk pulling a non-debian package that would bork my system.

Where to begin?
lizbeth
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions