Keyboard vol. control bound to wrong output device

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
christian.convey

Keyboard vol. control bound to wrong output device

Post by christian.convey »

I'm using Linux Mint 13 (Ubuntu-based) on a Dell M6500 laptop. The following issue occurs on all of the desktop environments I've tried: Cinnamon, Mate, Gnome Classic

My laptop has two audio output devices:
#1 = RV710/730 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4000 Series] Digital Stereo (HDMI)
#2 = Built-in Audio Analog Stereo
In System Settings -> Sound, on the Output tab, they're listed in that order.

When I play movies, music, etc. the audio goes to the Built-in Audio Analog Stereo. Which is good - that's what I want.

However, my external keyboard has a volume control wheel. Whenever I boot into Mint, the wheel appears bound to the volume of the #1 audio device mentioned above.

The only way I can get it to be bound to the #2 audio device is to go into System Settings --> Sound, and on the "Output" tab, select the "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo" setting. When I do this, the volume wheel becomes bound to that output device, as I want.

The problem is, this binding is forgotten whenever I shut the laptop down (or log out, I'm not sure which).

Any idea how I can fix this? It hasn't been a problem on previous versions of Mint or Ubuntu.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xclusive585

Re: Keyboard vol. control bound to wrong output device

Post by xclusive585 »

Bump. I am having the same exact issue...

Return to “Sound”