Nvidia driver

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GiteZz

Nvidia driver

Post by GiteZz »

Hello everyone!

I have a question, in windows I had a Nividia control panel, but it seems that I can't find it in Linux? I have linux mint 13, and a nvidia geforce gt540m.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Nvidia driver

Post by kc1di »

Hi GiteZz and welcome to Mint,

In order to get the Nvidia control panel you have to install the Nvidia Driver for your card.
You don't say which version of Mint you are using is it mint 13 or 14? if it's 13 there is a tool call additional drivers that will do it for you.
let us know which version of mint your using.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
nomko

Post by nomko »

What you want is a package called nvidia-settings to be installed. This you can do by opening a terminal and copy/paste or typing the following coomand:

Code: Select all

sudo -apt-get install nvidia-settings
GiteZz

Post by GiteZz »

kc1di wrote:Hi GiteZz and welcome to Mint,

In order to get the Nvidia control panel you have to install the Nvidia Driver for your card.
You don't say which version of Mint you are using is it mint 13 or 14? if it's 13 there is a tool call additional drivers that will do it for you.
let us know which version of mint your using.
Thanks, I use mint 13 mate, I tried additional drivers but it didn't found any additional driver.
nomko wrote:What you want is a package called nvidia-settings to be installed. This you can do by opening a terminal and copy/paste or typing the following coomand:

sudo -apt-get install nvidia-settings
Thanks, now I click on a think in the start menu that says Nvidia x server settings, but when I click there comes an error:

Details: Failed to execute child process "/usr/bin/nvidia-settings" (No such file or directory)

Thanks in advance!
nomko

Post by nomko »

GiteZz wrote:Details: Failed to execute child process "/usr/bin/nvidia-settings" (No such file or directory)
Open a terminal and type the following command:

sudo nvidia-xconfig
Reboot and try to start the Nvidia settings manager.
cra1g321

Post by cra1g321 »

GiteZz wrote:Hello everyone!
I have a question, in windows I had a Nividia control panel, but it seems that I can't find it in Linux? I have linux mint 13, and a nvidia geforce gt540m.
Thanks in advance!
Have u installed the Nvidia driver in Linux Mint ?

If you open the "Additonal Drivers" program, you should see a list of drivers, for example -

If you do have one enabled there should be a green light to indicate that it is activated and in use.

Return to “Beginner Questions”