[SOLVED] Nadia on-site upgrade: FAIL

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] Nadia on-site upgrade: FAIL

Post by Silent Warrior »

Well, don't get all excited yet - it wasn't a catastrophic failure.

... So, yeah, I still live. And I now have Mint on TWO computers! (Both a laptop and my main desktop monstrosity.)
I just now tried the APT-upgrade, and now my computer is... not right in the head. When I open Synaptic, it says something similar to 'APT::Default_Release: maya not a possible release name' - I don't remember the exact message, but it looks like some LSB, or deep seeded APT file wasn't updated correctly. (GRUB also shows the wrong release names, though both lsb-release and issue/issue.net show the correct information. Is this relevant?) And, well, with that, Synaptic tells me to smurf myself and dies. I also don't seem to have an internet connection, but I haven't looked into that - it's possible a kernel add-on takes care of it, as it has in the past, or some firmware... But besides that, I have no problem whatsoever - YAY! Uh, help?
I should probably also say that the upgrade didn't go completely without a hitch - some kernel pollution (installed the lts-quantal version prior to the upgrade, the new kernel package went bonkers) though a subsequent dpkg install -f proceeded with no apparent problem...

What can I say, I'm not big on burning DVDs left, right and centre, and I like my USB stick the way it is, thank you very much. (Yes, yes, burning the image onto it is definitely something I can do - I've managed to keep an Arch-installation going for a month, most of the time even behaving the way I wanted it to; I simply prefer the APT method, so I don't have to run around picking out my packages and PPAs YET ONE MORE TIME.) I'm not dogmatic against the idea of using a proper installation DVD/image, I promise.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Nadia on-site upgrade: FAIL

Post by remoulder »

Mint does not support in-place upgrades as explained in http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2. This has been discussed many times in the past and there's no mileage in discussing it again.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
741cc

Post by 741cc »

I've used DVD-RW's for trying out new distros. Rarely had any problems and you just blank and re-use when you fancy a change. Must have used some a dozen or more times.
With usb sticks, you can use gparted to format the first couple of GB's to fat and the remainder to a file system of your choice. Then use unetbootin to load a distro onto the first partition on the stick, and keep your files on the second one.
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

Right. I'll see if I can get it sorted myself, then, and install Nadia the proper way if it doesn't work out. Marking this as solved.

Return to “Installation & Boot”