Nvidia driver

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Nvidia driver

Postby GiteZz on Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:01 am

Hello everyone!

I have a question, in windows I had a Nividia control panel, but it seems that I can't find it in Linux? I have linux mint 13, and a nvidia geforce gt540m.

Thanks in advance!
GiteZz
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:25 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Nvidia driver

Postby kc1di on Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:19 am

Hi GiteZz and welcome to Mint,

In order to get the Nvidia control panel you have to install the Nvidia Driver for your card.
You don't say which version of Mint you are using is it mint 13 or 14? if it's 13 there is a tool call additional drivers that will do it for you.
let us know which version of mint your using.
John 3:16
Morse code an Early
Digital Mode
Registered Linux User #462608
Image
User avatar
kc1di
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1472
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:44 pm
Location: Maine USA

Re: Nvidia driver

Postby nomko on Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:55 am

What you want is a package called nvidia-settings to be installed. This you can do by opening a terminal and copy/paste or typing the following coomand:
Code: Select all
sudo -apt-get install nvidia-settings
ASUS P5KPL-AM SE*Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200*4 GiB ram*nVidia GeForce 9500GT*Realtek RTL8101/8102E*Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7200A*HDD:Samsung HD501LJ/HD103SI*Sitecom X5-N600 Router (WLR-5100)

Visit my website:
My personal website
User avatar
nomko
Level 9
Level 9
 
Posts: 2880
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:28 pm
Location: The Hague, The Netherlands

Re: Nvidia driver

Postby GiteZz on Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:21 am

kc1di wrote:Hi GiteZz and welcome to Mint,

In order to get the Nvidia control panel you have to install the Nvidia Driver for your card.
You don't say which version of Mint you are using is it mint 13 or 14? if it's 13 there is a tool call additional drivers that will do it for you.
let us know which version of mint your using.


Thanks, I use mint 13 mate, I tried additional drivers but it didn't found any additional driver.

nomko wrote:What you want is a package called nvidia-settings to be installed. This you can do by opening a terminal and copy/paste or typing the following coomand:
Code: Select all
sudo -apt-get install nvidia-settings


Thanks, now I click on a think in the start menu that says Nvidia x server settings, but when I click there comes an error:

Details: Failed to execute child process "/usr/bin/nvidia-settings" (No such file or directory)

Thanks in advance!
GiteZz
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:25 pm

Re: Nvidia driver

Postby nomko on Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:58 am

GiteZz wrote:Details: Failed to execute child process "/usr/bin/nvidia-settings" (No such file or directory)


Open a terminal and type the following command:
Code: Select all
sudo nvidia-xconfig


Reboot and try to start the Nvidia settings manager.
ASUS P5KPL-AM SE*Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200*4 GiB ram*nVidia GeForce 9500GT*Realtek RTL8101/8102E*Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7200A*HDD:Samsung HD501LJ/HD103SI*Sitecom X5-N600 Router (WLR-5100)

Visit my website:
My personal website
User avatar
nomko
Level 9
Level 9
 
Posts: 2880
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:28 pm
Location: The Hague, The Netherlands

Re: Nvidia driver

Postby cra1g321 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:02 pm

GiteZz wrote:Hello everyone!
I have a question, in windows I had a Nividia control panel, but it seems that I can't find it in Linux? I have linux mint 13, and a nvidia geforce gt540m.
Thanks in advance!


Have u installed the Nvidia driver in Linux Mint ?

If you open the "Additonal Drivers" program, you should see a list of drivers, for example -

Image

If you do have one enabled there should be a green light to indicate that it is activated and in use.
PC - Gigabyte 970A-DS3 AMD 970 , AMD Bulldozer FX-4 4170, Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB 1600MHz C9, Zotac Geforce 8800GT AMP Edition, OS's = Linux / WIN7
User avatar
cra1g321
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 487
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:19 pm
Location: Northern Ireland


Return to Newbie Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Spiceman and 20 guests