Install Mint 14 alongside existing Windows 8

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NFFCReds1

Install Mint 14 alongside existing Windows 8

Post by NFFCReds1 »

Hi All,

I cannot get my copy of Mint 14 to boot. I have installed numerous versions of Linux previously, mostly Ubuntu derivatives with few difficulties. However I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 8 due to the relatively low cost of the download. This currently sits alongside Ubuntu 12.04 and Zorin Linux 6. I have no problem currently booting any of these OS'. When I try to boot Mint 14 to install there is DVD activity but nothing otherwise happens. Is this due to UEFI and Win 8? If so, what is the work around ?

I am moving to Mint as I like the Cinnamon DE and prefer to be without the Unity GUI and the Amazon tie in with Ubuntu 12.10. I want to retain a laptop split between Win 8 and Linux - ideally removing Ubuntu and Zorin, in favour of Mint. I do not want the degraded performance by having to install within Windows. Please help !

Barrie Wood
Torquay.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Install Mint 14 alongside existing Windows 8

Post by remoulder »

Have you read both the mint and ubuntu release notes to see if anything applies?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Return to “Installation & Boot”