mint 14 booting me into failsafe mode

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jonass

mint 14 booting me into failsafe mode

Post by jonass »

I played around with mint 14 last night, love it cinnamon 1.6 is a big improvement. I installed it this morning, leaving my /home intact and overwriting my /root folder from my previous ubuntu 12.04 install. Install was quick, didn't seem to have any problems, but now upon starting the computer I get the error message, No Exec line in session file: ubuntu

Then it makes me manually log in, anyone have any fixes for this? It is Mint 14 cinnamon 32 bit
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: mint 14 booting me into failsafe mode

Post by remoulder »

jonass wrote:overwriting my /root folder from my previous ubuntu 12.04 install
Did you format it? If no then you should re-install and do so, otherwise have you tried running update-grub?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
jonass

Post by jonass »

I did format the /root folder but not the /home folder. Once I got into failsafe mode I did install all the recommended updates is that the same as update-grub?
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Nope update-grub simply updates the grub.cfg which will of necessity already have included any system updates you have done which may also have generated a newer kernel version etc..
http://man.he.net/man8/update-grub

Your system and application updates and update-grub to fix-up grub2 menus are unrelated..
jonass

Post by jonass »

Well I tried updating grub, sudo apt-get update-grub, but as my terminal doesn't show anything I write in this mode I am not sure if it worked or not, but I believe it did and the problem still persists, should I try formatting my /home drive?

Here is a pastebin of my grub.cfg file is there something I can add to that to fix this?

http://pastebin.com/Kg9ieqjK

Return to “Installation & Boot”