help starting lampp at login, please

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrKing
Level 1
Level 1

help starting lampp at login, please

Post by MrKing »

I would like lampp to be started when a specific user logs in.

At present, the user opens a terminal and types 'sudo /opt/lampp/lampp start'
The user is asked for the sudo(?) password and then lampp starts ok.

Can somebody please let me know if it is possible for a script to be run to start lampp when that specific user logs in?

Many thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Re: help starting lampp at login, please

Post by lakehousetech »

Your the first person I have seen using Linux Mint for a server. Anyway, check out this site for a tutorial: http://alanedwardes.com/posts/installin ... ple-guide/

Hope this helps.
MrKing
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MrKing »

I'm only using lampp to test and develop a local version of my hosted website.

The link you provided certainly starts lampp but it does it for all users and only at boot-up time. So, if user2 gets on the pc first, he can stop lampp. Then, when user1 logs in, he can't use lampp without doing 'sudo /opt/lampp/lampp start' in terminal.

Ideally, the script I am looking for will only start lampp when user1 logs in.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

Ok. I am sorry that I was not very helpful. I have some experience with LAMP via the Ubuntu server release and also on CentOS, but haven't had multiple users so it was never an issue...Have you checked other similar forums?

Return to “Beginner Questions”