Shorten boot time on mint14

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tristann

Shorten boot time on mint14

Post by Tristann »

So I recently updated from mint9 to mint14. I am not quite happy with the boot times, it takes about 30 secs from grub to desktop. In the attachment you can see the bootchart of my system. Can anybody recommend some more improvements and things to change that will shorten boot times?
I was looking at the rcX.d directories, can anything there be changed (if needed I upload my files in the directories)?
tristan-pc-mint-nadia-20121121-6.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Shorten boot time on mint14

Post by xenopeek »

Well, as you can see from the graph your computer is doing not much else the first 25 seconds or so but wait for your hard disk to do what it is told. Easiest way to shorten the boot time is to replace it with a solid state disk (boot time is 6 seconds here).

The harder way to shorten the boot time is to load less programs at start up. For Linux Mint 13 I have some tips for that here, but you can probably pick from that and use it for Linux Mint 14 also: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 77#p600177

As to rcX.d directories, no, don't touch those. A lot has happened since Linux Mint 9... Ubuntu has been migrating from SySV init system, to its own Upstart init system. The wiki page for that may help: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpstartHowto. I wouldn't mess with Upstart's own files, but instead as I show for Samba + Avahi in my above linked post, place an override file for the services you don't want to start automatically.
Tristann

Post by Tristann »

ah, thanks but I already did those things that are written down in the other topic. I was already messing with the rcX.d directories and got MATE and the mintmenu to show up alot faster than before, but i won't mess any further if you say so.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

It's fine to mess with those directories, as long as you are sure of what you are doing and won't get mad when Linux Mint won't boot any longer :wink:
Tristann

Post by Tristann »

:D
what about those things:
* Starting bluetooth daemon [ OK ]
* Starting load fallback graphics devices [ OK ]
* Stopping load fallback graphics devices [ OK ]

This happens every boot..
1. I don't even have bluetooth hardware
2. why does that second line even do? It stops immediately after it starts..

Return to “Installation & Boot”