Gnome 3 like top-left hotkey for Mint - Is that possible?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
luttappi

Gnome 3 like top-left hotkey for Mint - Is that possible?

Post by luttappi »

I am quite new to Linux Mint (and am using 14 - Nadia RC). I migrated from Gnome 3 in Ubuntu 12.04, and find that the overall experience and responsiveness of Mint is better. However one thing that I miss the most as compared to Gnome in Ubuntu is the "thing" that you get when you hover over the top-left hotkey, which then shows the open windows and has a search box. Mint has the same top-left hotkey and shows the open windows, however there is no search functionality.

At the same time, clicking on the Menu button on the panel gives you a search bar, which I find is not quite as powerful as the Gnome one, because I need to mostly know the application name exactly, or the search does not give any result.

My question is, is there some way that I can get the same experience that Gnome gives on hovering over the top-left hotkey? Or, is there someway I can do away with what is currently displayed when the Menu is clicked, so that on clicking Menu I get what Gnome shows - the open windows and a search bar?

THanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Gnome 3 like top-left hotkey for Mint - Is that possible

Post by remoulder »

Please install the released version instead.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

In Cinnamon that kind of mouse shortcuts is called "hot corners". There are 2 choices: Scale (show previews of open windows) or Expo (show workspaces). But there are no search bars. You can use Cinnamon menu's search bar instead. At least, that is for applications and recent documents.
To set it up, go to Cinnamon Settings - Hot corner, choose the type and position of it.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

luttappi wrote:I am quite new to Linux Mint (and am using 14 - Nadia RC). I migrated from Gnome 3 in Ubuntu 12.04, and find that the overall experience and responsiveness of Mint is better. However one thing that I miss the most as compared to Gnome in Ubuntu is the "thing" that you get when you hover over the top-left hotkey, which then shows the open windows and has a search box. Mint has the same top-left hotkey and shows the open windows, however there is no search functionality.
Cinnamon has broken Gnome Shell's overview into
- Menu applet (favourites bar, app view and search, launched with "super" just like the overview)
- Scale (windows overview, top left hot corner or Ctrl+Alt+Down)
- Expo (workspaces overview + windows, Ctrl+Alt+Up - can be assigned the hot corner in Cinnamon Settings)

I was struggling myself in the beginning coming from Gnome Shell but find this easier to use now. When I want to launch something I press super, type 2-3 letters, then enter. When I want to handle windows and workspaces I go into Expo which I have assigned to the hot corner.

Someone is bound to make a Gnome Shell Overview extension for Cinnamon at some point.

Return to “Beginner Questions”