Fist of all I want to say that I am a total newbie and that I have very few technical knowledge on Linux. So please forgive me if I say incorrect things or lack obvious concepts.
2 weeks ago I installed Linux Mint 13 Maya XFCE 4 as a dual boot with windows 7. I basically fell in love with this OS: everything was quite simply going twice as fast as Windows, especially everything internet-related.
4 days ago my 6 years-old router died so I went to buy a new one and got a linksys e1500 router. Obviously my old router was B/G and the new one is B/G/N. I installed and set up the new router: everything was pretty quick and straight forward.
I had no troubles setting up the WiFI connection between my linux computer and the new router but I noticed that my wireless connection would fail systematically after few minutes. So I started to investigate: I will try to detail all the facts:
1) when the failure occurs, the browser fails to load the internet pages.. If I disconnect from my home network and reconnect again, then I get internet back for another few minutes..
2) I realized it was strictly a linux mint problem since while my WIFI connection was not working on my linux computer, my laptop (running windows) and tablet had perfect WIFI connections..
3) When I booted the computer with windows 7, I had absolutely no issues of instability for the wireless connection. That way I knew it was not a problem between my WIFI adapter PCI card and the new router.
4) I then started to suspect of the WIFI N, just because my old router was B/G and that I had no issues with linux before. I changed the Wireless configuration to B/G mode and the instability problems went away immediately !!!
So I understand that the problems resides in the WIFI N connection: that is pretty annoying since I would love obviously to be able to enjoy a faster connection with WIFI N.
I would be very thankful if any of you could give me a hand with this problem !!!
I read that I should publish the following details:
- Code: Select all
* I. scanning WIFI PCI devices...
-- Ralink corp. RT2800 802.11n PCI
==> PCI ID = 1814:0601
* II. querying ndiswrapper...
* III. querying iwconfig...
lo no wireless extensions.
wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:"ManuVeroBsAs"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: 20:AA:4B:C1:18:FA
Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Link Quality=38/70 Signal level=-72 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:36 Invalid misc:156 Missed beacon:0
eth0 no wireless extensions.
* IV. querying ifconfig...
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 6c:f0:49:84:e7:a4
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:766 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:766 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:22338 (22.3 KB) TX bytes:22338 (22.3 KB)
wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1f:1f:4f:02:80
inet addr:192.168.1.117 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::21f:1fff:fe4f:280/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:245570 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:381449 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:170943696 (170.9 MB) TX bytes:241470743 (241.4 MB)
* V. querying DHCP...
Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8)
utility, e.g. service smbd reload
Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an
Upstart job, you may also use the reload(8) utility, e.g. reload smbd
RTNETLINK answers: File exists
* VI. querying nslookup google.com...