Local repository for mint13 permission denied

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gasgasmike

Local repository for mint13 permission denied

Post by gasgasmike »

Hi;
I am running mint13 . Trying to get to the Local repository which contains Gnomeppp.
In Terminal I type in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/local-repository.list but it said 'Permission Denied'

Can Someone give a newbie a step by step instruction how to open up this local repository?
Thank you

The following are in the reliese notes for mint 13. I am not smart enough to get to work.

Local repository and GnomePPP
GnomePPP is not installed by default but it is present within the default installation of Linux Mint. Your Linux Mint system comes with a local repository which is disabled by default. You can enable it by removing the comment sign "#" in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/local-repository.list and refreshing your APT cache. This repository contains GnomePPP as well as a collection of drivers.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Local repository for mint13 permission denied

Post by catweazel »

gasgasmike wrote:In Terminal I type in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/local-repository.list but it said 'Permission Denied'
You need to use the sudo command, however typing that line in with sudo will only get you another error message because local-repository.list is a file, not a command.
... You can enable it by removing the comment sign "#" in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/local-repository.list and refreshing your APT cache.

Code: Select all

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/local-repository.list
sudo apt update
Edit the file using gedit, remove the # symbol then save the changes and exit gedit before issuing the update command.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
gasgasmike

Post by gasgasmike »

Thank you for the help TehGhodTrole .But mint 13 does not have Gedit installed by default.
It is in synaptic package manager but I a can not load Gedit until I get Gnome PPP up and running.

Is there another way to load that local repository?

THANK YOU
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

gasgasmike wrote:But mint 13 does not have Gedit installed by default.
Are you using mate?
If so, substitute pluma for gedit in the command.

caribriz
gasgasmike

Post by gasgasmike »

Yes Caribriz,

Pluma did the trick .I was able to remove # symbol and re-save in pluma.

But after closing pluma the Terminal started showing errors.

And no additions were made.

Thank you
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

gasgasmike wrote:And no additions were made.
Not sure what you mean here.

Are you just wanting to install gnome-ppp offline?

Edit (later) -
Just out of curiosity I tried to install gnome-ppp in mate after enabling the local respository as above.
I couldn't install it offline from Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager or even in the terminal as you should be able to.
It kept wanting to go online to download the packages, even though you know they are already on your hard drive in the local repository
- and, of course, you aren't online yet :wink:
Similar to this: http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=103370

In the end I did it a "messy" way adapted from the link above:

Navigate through File System to /usr/share/local-repository/binary

Copy the following files (versions/names may vary slightly - this was for 32-bit):

libwvstreams4.6-base_4.6.1-2build1_i386.deb
libwvstreams4.6-extras_4.6.1-2build1_i386.deb
libuniconf4.6_4.6.1-2build1_i386.deb
wvdial_1.61-4build1_i386.deb
gnome-ppp_0.3.23-1ubuntu6_i386.deb

Go to your /home folder, create new folder "gnome-ppp"
Paste the above 5 files into it.
While still gnome-ppp folder:
Click File > Open in terminal, type

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --install --recursive .
(note the dot at the end of the command)
press enter

This will install all the files in the correct order.

Alternatively, you can double-click on each of the files above (in that order) to install.
Gnome-ppp was then available in Menu > Internet.

caribriz
gasgasmike

Post by gasgasmike »

Thank you Caribriz for all of your time you spent on solving my problem.
I will take your suggestion and install gnome ppp manually.

Wish you all the best;
gasgasmike

Return to “Beginner Questions”