Mint won’t mount any USB device

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
milkfloat

Mint won’t mount any USB device

Post by milkfloat »

LXDE will not mount any USB device on my laptop. I posted another thread about mounting XD cards via a USB connection, but I’ve now realised that pretty much any USB connection doesn’t work.

I’ve tried my Kindle, Sony MP3 player, Olympus camera and several USB flash drives. All the devices will appear when I open the file manager, but none of them will mount when I right click and select ‘mount volume’, so any external file management is currently impossible for me.

They all appear in Gparted. Likewise, they all appear in Terminal when I enter the -lsusb command, but I can’t access any of them to view or edit files.

Can anyone suggest a fix? I constantly have to switch to Windows 7 in dual boot to load any USB resource, which has rather defeated the purpose of installing Mint.

Cheers.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seppalta

Re: Mint won’t mount any USB device

Post by seppalta »

If they appear in the list of places in pcmanfm's left column, they should be mounted. Left clicking should open them. Are they formatted NTFS? That could cause a problem.
milkfloat

Post by milkfloat »

Hi seppalta. I only have my pen drive to hand at the moment, but in Gparted it's displayed as FAT32, no sign of an NTFS partition. I tried logging out and in with the flash drive inserted; it mounted after logging in, but with permissions restricted so files are read-only, which isn't much use.

I can't imagine any of my other devices are NTFS, but I'll check later anyway.
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

it mounted after logging in, but with permissions restricted so files are read-only, which isn't much use.
Find the drive in /media, and change ownership to you. http://lxlinux.com/introduction.html

Return to “Software & Applications”