Linux Mint 14 and Empathy, Adding accounts???

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CaptainMark

Linux Mint 14 and Empathy, Adding accounts???

Post by CaptainMark »

It seems impossible to add accounts to empathy since the upgrade to Mint 14, the accounts option in the empathy menu should now take you to the 'gnome settings'>'online accounts' screen (based on ubuntu 12.10 behaviour) but on Mint it's not there so you merely get directed to the 'gnome settings' screen with no option for 'online accounts' I have checked I have the package gnome-online-accounts installed, any suggestions, I will copy my empathy preferences from my Mint 13 backup for now but it seems this is an oversight that needs a better workaround
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
blum

Re: Linux Mint 14 and Empathy, Adding accounts???

Post by blum »

Same problem here. Although "Online Accounts" was there the first time. Maybe until reboot?

You can get to empathy accounts settings by running "empathy-accounts" from the command line.
CaptainMark

Post by CaptainMark »

Ah good call I didn't know this, although there is still some problem because all of my accounts are being rejected, I keep getting authentication error
lostmariner

Post by lostmariner »

Got the same problem. Dont have the usual online-accounts in system settings. Using empathy-accounts from terminal to add accounts does add them to empathy but then results in an authentication failure.
CaptainMark

Post by CaptainMark »

I dont know if this a bug against Mint or Empathy, technically Mint are no-longer a gnome distribution so its hard to blame them, however you cant expect the Empathy devs to tweak it for every desktop environment
CaptainMark

Post by CaptainMark »

Heres Clems workaround provided to me over IRC, not ideal for everyone but he has some good reasons for it, empathy after all is a gnome native application and mint is forking away from gnome more by the day

Code: Select all

<clem_vm> imark: 1. by default, there's no /usr/share/applications/gnome-online-accounts-panel.desktop in Mint, so if you don't have that file: "apt reinstall gnome-control-center" and check that it's there.
<clem_vm> imark: 2. sudo nano /usr/share/applications/gnome-online-accounts-panel.desktop and remove any occurence of "NoDisplay=true"
<clem_vm> imark: if there's no occurences of it, then that's fine
<clem_vm> imark: 3. create a file /etc/linuxmint/adjustments/gnome-online-accounts.preserve with the line /usr/share/applications/gnome-online-accounts-panel.desktop in it
<clem_vm> imark: that's it
dscarin

Post by dscarin »

The ubuntu version of empathy doesn't use gnome online account, but ubuntu online accounts.
I had the same problem, resolved in this way:
installed gnome-control-center-signon ("apt reinstall gnome-control-center-signon" or "apt-get install gnome-control-center-signon" if not already installed);
removed the gnome online account entry from control panel adding "NoDisplay=true" to /usr/share/applications/gnome-online-accounts-panel.desktop

Regards
Dino
thefish728

Post by thefish728 »

The above post about authentication failure doesn't apply to my Gmail account, which was imported from Pidgin, so I'm guessing that it'll work if you run that command line and use a Google account. :)
jrial

Post by jrial »

Same problem here: authentication error, and can't seem to find a way to fix it. Already removed/re-added the Google account multiple times.
GadgetGuru

Post by GadgetGuru »

I removed the gnome online account entry from control panel adding "NoDisplay=true" from /usr/share/applications/gnome-online-accounts-panel.desktop

I created a file /etc/linuxmint/adjustments/gnome-online-accounts.preserve with the line /usr/share/applications/gnome-online-accounts-panel.desktop in it

but every time I reboot, it's necessary to re-install gnome-control-center-signon (apt reinstall gnome-control-center-signon) in order to get "Online Accounts" back.
GadgetGuru

Post by GadgetGuru »

Ok, folks. I have finally found the answer to this problem.
dscarin wrote:The ubuntu version of empathy doesn't use gnome online account, but ubuntu online accounts.
So there's no need to remove "NoDisplay=true" from "gnome-online-accounts-panel.desktop". We need to edit "gnome-credentials-panel.desktop".

Linux Mint 14 users need to do the following to fix this problem:
Re-install gnome-control-center-signon (

apt reinstall gnome-control-center-signon
or

apt-get install gnome-control-center-signon
if not already installed).

sudo nano /usr/share/applications/gnome-credentials-panel.desktop
and change "OnlyShowIn=GNOME;Unity;" to "OnlyShowIn=GNOME;Unity;Cinnamon;MATE;"
Create a file /etc/linuxmint/adjustments/gnome-credentials.preserve with the line /usr/share/applications/gnome-credentials-panel.desktop in it.

Now when you reboot, "gnome-credentials-panel.desktop" won't get overwritten and you won't need to re-install "gnome-control-center-signon" anymore.

Cheers!

Return to “Software & Applications”