Encrypt home folder

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Encrypt home folder

Post by scorp123 »

easy1 wrote:I'm hoping that if the PC is stolen, and someone then has physical access to the pc they won't be able to access the folder. Once someone has access to the PC, they can do whatever is required to reset the root password and I hope that wouldn't allow them to simply remove the encryption without the passphrase.
And why wouldn't the thief just repartition and reformat your harddrive?

EDIT:

Forgot to add the link I wanted to add :roll: ... OK, here we go: Maybe some of the utilities mentioned in this article here offer what you are looking for?

http://security.linux.com/security/07/0 ... =47&tid=35
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

easy1 wrote:That would be more than fine with me! I want something to make it much more difficult for the thief to access the data.
I'd put a PIN code or a password into the BIOS so that the machine's system setup cannot be accessed without having to type it in every time; same of course for the system boot: protect it with a password. Then replace the ordinary screws with high-security screws as far as this is possible. I don't know where you are based, but here is e.g. a NY based company that sells such screws: http://www.tamperproof.com/

Search for "security screw" or "tamperproof screws" in Google, it will give you many hits. Not all of these companies will sell these screws to individuals, but e.g. I got mine by having them shipped to my workplace (they thought I was ordering this stuff on behalf of my employer ... ) so I guess you can apply similar tricks. Or if you know any nice folks at any computer store they can probably order this stuff for you, e.g. by claiming they have to make a laptop tamper-proof because their customer is a member of a foreign embassy .... be creative. :wink: If your BS is credible enough you will have such screws in no time. 8)

Having such screws on your laptop renders it useless for the thief. Absolutely useless. He cannot remove the disks, he cannot boot the machine, he cannot remove any parts. For a thief it's a dead brick.

Make sure you put on a sticker on the laptop saying something like that the laptop is tamper-proof and not worth stealing, put your phone number and your address and that anyone returning the laptop to you will be properly rewarded ... (e.g. 100$ ?)

A somewhat paranoid coworker of mine had his laptop stolen, and the thief, being totally frustrated about having stolen a useless brick, was dumb enough to bring it in "for repairs" (= to have the screws removed!) .... to the very PC shop where we got our screws from :lol:

As for encryption ... I'm currently on OpenSUSE 10.2 due to some job related stuff I have to get done and here it's easy to have your partitions encrypted ... I don't know how to do this on Ubuntu and Mint ... so you'd have to google around in the Ubuntu forums, maybe there is a how to or something ....
gramnemo
Level 2
Level 2

Encrypt home folder

Post by gramnemo »

And why this goods are not on sale at you in the country? :shock: At us they are on sale freely!
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

http://www.gnome.org/projects/seahorse/

Google is your friend!

Google <gnome gnupg>

Edit:

Might help if I provide a link

http://arg0.net/users/vgough/encfs
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

gramnemo wrote:And why this goods are not on sale at you in the country? :shock: At us they are on sale freely!
With those screws also come special screw drivers. If anyone could buy the screws or the screw drivers freely and without limitations, the purpose of those special screws is defeated. :wink: In that case you can just leave the normal screws on your system.

So that's why certain producers of such special screws put limitations to whom they sell this stuff. But as I said, there are ways to get around this limitation. 8)
gramnemo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gramnemo »

scorp123 wrote:
gramnemo wrote:And why this goods are not on sale at you in the country? :shock: At us they are on sale freely!
With those screws also come special screw drivers. If anyone could buy the screws or the screw drivers freely and without limitations, the purpose of those special screws is defeated. :wink: In that case you can just leave the normal screws on your system.

So that's why certain producers of such special screws put limitations to whom they sell this stuff. But as I said, there are ways to get around this limitation. 8)
Yes I have incorrectly understood! I thought that for Linux is not present drivers for these hard disks, thanks

Return to “Other topics”