moving files?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintish

moving files?

Post by mintish »

How on earth do you move a file from example home folder to desktop when ever i do instead of moving the file it copys it and there doesint seem to be a way to fix this anyone know a solution before ubuntu gos back on my laptop thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
iTheMaster

Re: moving files?

Post by iTheMaster »

Right click -> cut --->right click -> paste
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Ubuntu? Then it works the same way. Cut, and paste.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
mintish

Post by mintish »

cut paste? i have never used this method i would just drag and drop the file from for example home directory to desktop just tried cut-paste and it didint work i cut the file but would only allow me to paste in the original directory. i am using xfce enviroment this is real head wreck
iTheMaster

Post by iTheMaster »

If you try to paste files in the /root partition without root privileges it will not work. You can however cut-paste in the /home/user folder.
thankyou

Post by thankyou »

the most annoying thing is when i try to 'copy to' and my only options are desktop and home. why not 'browse' ??
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

I have never face such problems, as I have a common data folder between XP and Linux with NTFS file system. Are you using LMDE XFCE version?

if you want to cut / copy files to any folders and things are not working, then just open terminal (alt + ctrl + t)
type

gksudo thunar
enter password.

then browse anywhere you like :)
HughT

Post by HughT »

Hi Mintish,
You don't mention which file manager you're using - would it be Thunar? I'm using Mint 11 with Gnome which has the Nautilus file manager, so I have to rely on my memory. I believe the way to move a file from one folder to another in Thunar is to have two instances of Thunar open, browse in one to the file you wish to move, and browse in the other to its destination, then drag from one to the other. I believe your Ubuntu may have used Nautilus which has the option (F3) to open two panes to perform this drag and drop, or a right click option to move or copy between 'home' and 'desktop', or the option to drag from main pane to side pane. I'm not sure in Thunar has this last option too.
Does this help?
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

If you are trying to move between partitions, using Thunar hold shift during the D&D, which will move and not copy.
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

LXDE with Pcmanfm with button in taskbar, single-click option. Double click button to get two copies, each with its own menu displayed. Put one in the destination directory, one in the source directory. If required by either, click tools and choose "Open current folder as root". Then drag-drop or cut-paste to your heart's desire. :lol:
cmcneil

Post by cmcneil »

Hi, I get exactly the original bug in this thread. The problem is not that don't know how to move files from one place to another, there are many ways to do that. I am using Mint 12 with MATE and Nautilus. The problem is that I want the default behavior of nautilus to be that if I drag and drop a file from one location to another (be it the desktop, two nautilus windows, or into a folder in the same nautilus window), is for file to be moved(i.e. the file is no longer at the original location), but for some reason, on my system it is instead copied. How do I change this behavior? It is nowhere in the nautilus preferences. (the behavior I want is default on both Ubuntu and all past versions of Mint that I have used)
Thanks!
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Right click -> cut --->right click -> paste
for just a few file(s)

But for moving lots of files, inc directories - I use Gnome Commander.
I found that I was always logging into root - to get around <some> file permission issues.
By using Gnome Commander. - whole slabs of stuff can be moved or copied.
if file permission, get in the way, then run Gnome Commander. as root - from the drop menu - under File -> Start as root.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

I would like to add my recommendation.

I do a lot of file movement between ~14 mounted parttions across several h/d.

<opinion>

The easiest and most effective way to do a lot of file movement and still know exactly what is going on is to use a dual pane file manager.

My default file manager is Krusader. It is a KDE app that is interlaced with enough functionality to accommodate most file management tasks.

If you're adverse to kde, then my alternate recommendation is xfe. It lighter than Krusader but covers the major functionality with respect to file management.

Both of these apps are in the repository. If you decide to go the Krusader route, here's a link to a short paper I put together covering how to get the root mode working in non-kde environments.

http://www.boomerclan.info/techpaperslx ... gnome.html

</opinion>

Hope this helps.

-DataMan
zimmbran

Post by zimmbran »

mv /source /destination
ftw!
izzo

Post by izzo »

thankyou wrote:the most annoying thing is when i try to 'copy to' and my only options are desktop and home. why not 'browse' ??
Use dolphin then.
entorri

Post by entorri »

i've tried die commandline it works perfectly
on a desktop it's like SHIFT+<drag and drop> and it works
but the overall perfomance scheduling is not natural
other primary processes were affected during the file operation
fbugnon

Post by fbugnon »

I can also confirm this problem.

What is strange is that this only happens when trying to move files from the Desktop to another folder.

If you do the same from files located elsewhere, for instance, from folder Documents into Desktop, files are moved normaly (and not copied)....

Return to “Non-technical Questions”